Chainsaw FILES??

Logged On

Ok, been reading / learning for a while now, (that's why I joined here), and now I'm confused over chain file sizes....

On our saw, we have a 24RMS chain, needing a 4.8mm - 3/16 file to sharpen it.

I use a 3/16 file, but after reading the sharpening thread, it's still not doing a proper job, the file doesn't seem to 'fill and file' the whole tooth - only from what I can see the top half is filed...?

So, is there much difference is size between 4.8mm and 3/16 file??

My understanding is you are wanting to sharpen the gullet of the tooth as well as the cutting edge. This is not necessary, as the only part of the tooth which is cutting is the 1mm or so which is proud of the depth gauge. The rest of the tooth is really just there to support the top edge. The gullets do need to be dressed occasionally, as they help channel the chips and dust out of the cut. Sound to me like you are doing it right. Is your chain cutting well? Are the depth gauges filed to the proper depth?

That's my understanding, if I'm wrong, I hope someone will correct me. Cheers, Hairy.

My understanding is you are wanting to sharpen the gullet of the tooth as well as the cutting edge. This is not necessary, as the only part of the tooth which is cutting is the 1mm or so which is proud of the depth gauge. The rest of the tooth is really just there to support the top edge. The gullets do need to be dressed occasionally, as they help channel the chips and dust out of the cut. Sound to me like you are doing it right. Is your chain cutting well? Are the depth gauges filed to the proper depth?

That's my understanding, if I'm wrong, I hope someone will correct me. Cheers, Hairy.

i was going to say if your chain is cutting well you're on the money:thumbup:

The file is supposed to be 1/5th of its diameter above the top plate of the cutter . This you can do by hand with practice , or , easily with an Oregon file plate/guide or similar . You will periodically have to take the gullets out because if you don't you can have a situation (when the cutter is toward the end of its useful length ) were the the corner of the un dressed gullet can stick out further than the top plate of the cutter when viewed from above .

The file is supposed to be 1/5th of its diameter above the top plate of the cutter . This you can do by hand with practice , or , easily with an Oregon file plate/guide or similar . You will periodically have to take the gullets out because if you don't you can have a situation (when the cutter is toward the end of its useful length ) were the the corner of the un dressed gullet can stick out further than the top plate of the cutter when viewed from above .

what would you use to take out the gullet Stubby? a file, a bigger size file, or a dremmel tool?