TPO specification?

benedmonds

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In your opinions is this specification adequate/does it make sense. As part of a planning portal application..

Lime T1 - Reduce 1-2m, Lift to 5.2m, clear from building.

Hi Ben, I would add to Joe's comments to say what and where in relation to the reduction, e.g. crown reduce (BS3998 terminology) all round (describes which part of the crown, i.e. ALL..or just height etc) and I would say by approx. 1.5m as 1-2m is quite a broad spec...they could always condition it of course.

Also CROWN lift to 5.2m roadside only to involving removal of lowest primary branch and secondary / tertiary branches not exceeding 50mm dia.

Selective reduction from building to achieve 2.5m clearance etc. as Joe said.

Reet, "time to run fer them there'ills" me thinks.

TO conclude your spec need to better align with BS3998, terminology wise, and be more prescriptive / descriptive with regards to what you actually want to do...maybe an annotated photo may help.

Cheers..

Paul

To be honest I do normally put in more detail, but the fact that this is basically a street tree and since January we have reduced 160 odd limes of approximately the same age in the same area for the council, I thought they might figure we know what we are doing. Although we won't be reducing to that spec as it's butchery...... I guess I should not assume anything..

This was the councils reply...

In terms of the description of development, you have stated ‘reduce 1-2m’. Would I be correct in assuming that this refers to a reduction in the crown spread as opposed to the height? Also, please confirm the specific reduction (i.e. either 1m or 2m). Additionally, in terms of the reason for the works, is this simply to provide clearance from the building? (I presume this is the case based on your description but it is not clear). Or are there other reasons for the works? Please provide an amended application form complete with the above information.

Another bit to add to the mix:

•be accompanied by such information as is necessary to clearly specify the work for which consent is sought;

Making applications to carry out work on trees protected by a Tree Preservation Order | Planning Practice Guidance

Bottom line, if they consider the application to be vague such that they can't determine it, they don't have to register it.

In principle I agree with this, and as a former TPO TO, as too many vague and ambiguous applications are made. However, if the contractor is known and trusted perhaps there should be some lea-way.

Hope this helps.

Paul