Pulleys and strops to use with a Tirfor?

Woodworks

Looking at getting one of these [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/1600KG-Wire-Rope-Hoist-Winch/dp/B009NETAD2]1600KG ACE Wire Rope Hoist Winch - 2500KG Pull Expert Lift 1.6 Ton 2.5 Shear: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UVg%2BEoQ3L.@@AMEPARAM@@51UVg%2BEoQ3L[/ame] and have read on here of using pulleys to double up the pull.

Can you run the wire cable through a pulley?

If yes any recommends and presuming a few strops would be a good idea as well or can you loop the wire around something and hook it back onto itself?

Any other extras I should be looking to get with it?

Thanks

Beau

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but a suitable strength one with a good bend radius

If yes any recommends and presuming a few strops would be a good idea as well or can you loop the wire around something and hook it back onto itself?

Strops are the best, hooking the cable back on itself can lead to kinking and damage which is a bad thing

I got my 'tifor' from the above place. Spot on. Great piece of kit.

If ur buying a snatch block get a swing cheek 1 (ie u don't have to thread entire length of rope throu the pulley) i got 1 of them 2

Must admit i tend to use old 5T ratchet straps for all sorts of things including strops for tirfor, and got some in vans for tow ropes if/when i'm ever stuck,

May not be strictly H&S/loler ticketed but does job in most of the places i find myself, never snapped a ratchet strap yet with tirfor.

U could also use short lengths of rope to keep costs down too as long as suitable size/strength

Looking at getting one of these 1600KG ACE Wire Rope Hoist Winch - 2500KG Pull Expert Lift 1.6 Ton 2.5 Shear: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools and have read on here of using pulleys to double up the pull.

Any other extras I should be looking to get with it?

Thanks

Beau

I have exactly the same winch, I bought the following strops,

1 x Duplex (eye to eye) 3m x 3000kg Sling

1 x Endless round 5m x 3000kg Sling

2 x 3.25 Ton Bow Shackles

As for a pulley, it's recommended that the pulley sheave is x18 the diameter of the wire rope, I couldn't find anything that matced that and the rope diameter at any price, the closest I could find cost more than the winch.

If I eventually do get a pulley I'll use a regular recovery snatch block rated at 8 ton and run a separate synthetic line through the snatch block, something like Noryb 10mm synthetic which has a minimum breaking strain of 5 ton.

Dude, do yourself a favour and read/watch up on proper rigging practice. I don't want to come across as being short, but there's so so much that can go wrong when you got a steel rope, pullys, shackles, strops and so on, and you put 1600 kilos on it. If something gives, heads can literally roll. Guys are killed every year by failed winch cables while doing 4x4 recovery. Each and every component of the pull must be rated - nylon straps degrade from UV, chain can get twisted, etc etc, all of which lower the working load limit. Read up, and be careful!

Dude, do yourself a favour and read/watch up on proper rigging practice. I don't want to come across as being short, but there's so so much that can go wrong when you got a steel rope, pullys, shackles, strops and so on, and you put 1600 kilos on it. If something gives, heads can literally roll. Guys are killed every year by failed winch cables while doing 4x4 recovery. Each and every component of the pull must be rated - nylon straps degrade from UV, chain can get twisted, etc etc, all of which lower the working load limit. Read up, and be careful!

The shear pin should be the 1st thing to let go. Everything else needs to be rated higher than the winch. With vehicle recovery it's extremely difficult to calculate the forces involved, a good resource is 'Winching Operations In Forestry - Tree Takeown and Vehicle De-Bogging'

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/FCTG001.pdf/$FILE/FCTG001.pdf

The shear pin should be the 1st thing to let go. Everything else needs to be rated higher than the winch. With vehicle recovery it's extremely difficult to calculate the forces involved, a good resource is 'Winching Operations In Forestry - Tree Takeown and Vehicle De-Bogging'

Interesting reading that :thumbup:

Ste

Thanks Chaps

Going to have a good read of that forestry guide on winch use. Must admit not really used one since CS31 32 many years ago.