Stove advice

I'm afraid this council guy's attitude is not a typical response. I know of many situations where councils have forced un-approved wood stove users to remove their appliances or face severe penalties.

If you live in a smoke controlled area, get an approved stove - it really isn't worth the risk.

The ONLY offense you can be found guilty of is "making dark smoke" if you don't make dark smoke they CANNOT touch you.

Do believe the crap they tell you, stick to your guns and tell them to go forth and multiply.

You must remember that many council officers will have you believe they have far more power than they actually have, I would treat such individuals with the contempt they deserve.

:001_smile:

FTR, I have a 150KW wood burning boiler with NO after burner, in a smokeless zone and I have written planing consent.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must remember that many council officers will have you believe they have far more power than they actually have, I would treat such individuals with the contempt they deserve.

That is one of the most salient points i have ever seen on arbtalk. Very very well put David.:001_smile:

On the subject of smoke when lighting a stove, I have found that with my Dunsley Yorkshire back-boiler model the stove lights quicker and cleaner if the water pumps ( 2, one for hot water one for heating ) are switched off.

The best way to do this is by fitting a pipe thermostat near the back top of the stove on one of the H/W out pipes. I have seen recommendations for stat temp vary but between 45 and 65 degrees works. Two stats at different temp setting can be used to ensure that priority goes to H/W or heating, depending on your preferences.

I did worry about the possibility of the boiler boiling in the event of a power cut and the pumps not running, but I've run the stove with the pumps off and this has not happened - there is no danger of pressure build up as the pumps are impeller type so there is always an open path through them for pressure relief and a small gravity flow.

• 7 months later...
Thinking of installing a woodburning stove soon. What does everyone think of the Esse 125 SE with a 5kw output.

Seen the esse 125 SE first hand and although its a very good looking contemporary stove the handle looked very lightweight and flimsy?

Obvious that Franco Belge offer a more traditional line but if I had to pick i`d go for the Savoy Mk II with improved burning features over the 1st model,,,

Franco belge Savoy Elegance - MKII

DEFRA approved too but then again most are going down this road now?

Nice sized glass door taboot but i like it best over the others, Monaco , Montfort etc. because it does away with the frontal air dials and minimises the grills etc.

Edited by peckerwoo

I've got one of these from Grey Metal Stoves. £510 inc vat. had it three years now. Has 5kW boiler, 10kW total. It's a convection stove so the side panels stay cool. It's very well built and burns all night if you fill it right up. The other stove I've got came from the same place, got an oven in the top. It was cheaper but the construction not so good.

Worth a look. Stoves

Comfort%25202B%25201%2520FIRE%25202%2520web%2520.jpg

The best stove I have come across in terms of heat efficiency and design is one from Bullerjan. My uncle in Germany has one of the mid sized stoves (around 11kw I think), which heats his entire house (150 square metres). It's considered dire if the living room drops below 30 degrees, even when it's well below freezing out.

Bullerjan-UK

What's unique about it is the way it convects air - for a fairly small stove using very little fuel it emits a huge amount of heat.

All we have at home is a crappy Villager stove that came with the house. Time for an upgrade!

Jonathan