Stove advice

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why Mick ??

I was just talking today of having my flue lined, cos it isn't at the moment.

What is the advantage

its because stoves are more efficient than open fires which will take most of the tarry stuff with the wasted heat. As there is little wasted heat from woodburners the crap just condenses.

its because stoves are more efficient than open fires which will take most of the tarry stuff with the wasted heat. As there is little wasted heat from woodburners the crap just condenses.

Which is why the liner itself must be insulated, to maintain the "smoke" at the maximum temperature possible and ensure it takes all the crap out in gaseous form. The liner itself must be balanced to the appliance, not the size of the chimney. Some firms will do a cheaper job by fitting a larger liner than necessary and then not backfilling, but this will lead to the liner being choked up with tar far sooner.

Where did I read that Wood burning stoves are ok in a smokeless area because they are classed as "Carbon Neutral" :confused1:

Dean I think whoever wrote that has got it wrong. CERTAIN cleanburning wood stoves are approved for use in smokeless areas due to low emissions - not because they're 'Carbon Neutral' (DEFRA approved stoves)

Full listing of appliances here (it's going to be updated in October so there may be more stoves/etc to be added)

Exempt Appliances

Some of the manufacturers listed include Morso, Clearview, Esse, Jotul, Dunsley, Euroheat, Stovax, etc

we have a hunter thought it was good surprised to here its on the no list. found the air wash and riddle sys good in the bottom. I like the look of that esse stove you can see the fire well.

Equally surprised at this end as well - we have a hunter 20 that has been driving our central heating for the last 18 years without a drama and it replaced a hunter 14 roomheater which was excellent for more than 10 years.

Cheers

mac

Dean I think whoever wrote that has got it wrong. CERTAIN cleanburning wood stoves are approved for use in smokeless areas due to low emissions - not because they're 'Carbon Neutral' (DEFRA approved stoves)

Full listing of appliances here (it's going to be updated in October so there may be more stoves/etc to be added)

Exempt Appliances

Some of the manufacturers listed include Morso, Clearview, Esse, Jotul, Dunsley, Euroheat, Stovax, etc

Thanks for that Woodrascal, it was probably whilst browsing google that I had read it somewhere