Legality of Using Photos

Peachy

Hi everyone, I don't expect there to be many lawyers on here but I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.

I'm considering starting my own fencing/landscaping company and will be looking to set up a website and facebook page to showcase what jobs I can do and have done in the past. However, all the photos I have are of work I've done for my current employer.

My question is, would I be able to use the photos of my work for my website if they are for jobs I completed for another company?

Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure its so much a question of legalities or moralities here. Its not right IMO for you to do that. They are your photos and you own the copyright to them, but its his work. Perhaps ask him outright would be the only way forward

+1.

If you still get on with him it should be fine.

If you're treading on his toes it's a bit more complicated.

Hi everyone, I don't expect there to be many lawyers on here but I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.

I'm considering starting my own fencing/landscaping company and will be looking to set up a website and facebook page to showcase what jobs I can do and have done in the past. However, all the photos I have are of work I've done for my current employer.

My question is, would I be able to use the photos of my work for my website if they are for jobs I completed for another company?

Any help would be appreciated.

If you were in the states and you tried that I believe you would be receiving a cease and desist order from an attorney or the owner of the copyrighted photos, since those pictures are the copyrighted property of the company. And yes, even though you took the pictures you were employed by your boss and that is his Copyrighted material.

Create your own portfolio over time and save your self the mistake of violating copyright laws.

easy-lift guy

Edited by easy-lift guy

My two cents: no moral problem. Wait till you set up on your own, then go back and photograph the fences as they are now. Who gets to say who owns the morral right to the images? Surely if anyone does it is the landowner who actually owns the fence! Its your handiwork, I say its your right to use the image. Your employer could also have a right to use the image, but I don't feel that that right is exclusive to anyone. Anyway, who will care? It a fence, not a Hollywood motion picture.......If your employer has a problem with it tough titties.

Hi

We have two solicitors in our family, I am fairly co-herrent with legal matters.

I would say, you need to discuss the matter informally with your current employer & gauge the reaction

It may present a conflict of intrests if you are still employed by them so I suggest you take care.

As Hairy suggested, theres nothing to stop you taking new photos once you set up on your own, of what is after all your work.

N

Edited by NFG