Constructive criticism wanted

Woodworks

I think its a good ad , i have what id imagine is a fairly similar sized operation over here in Ireland . Just one thing , the relatively bleak countryside and the fact that it appears as if its a hedgerow youre cutting from probably doesent convey the most environmentally sympathetic image .

As i said its a good ad but perhaps the very same ad based around a thinning operation would definitely tick all boxes .

Do you buy in any cord or do you harvest everything as a matter of interest ?.

Best of luck .

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its a good ad , i have what id imagine is a fairly similar sized operation over here in Ireland . Just one thing , the relatively bleak countryside and the fact that it appears as if its a hedgerow youre cutting from probably doesent convey the most environmentally sympathetic image .

As i said its a good ad but perhaps the very same ad based around a thinning operation would definitely tick all boxes .

Best of luck .

Interesting to hear a different view.... I felt the open landscape and small number of trees worked because it felt like an emerging business, which is what he describes.

cheers, steve

Best of luck .

Yes shame it comes over like that. Stupid thing is I want to leave far more trees but the grant we get for the hedge restoration wants almost all the trees felled. Allowed something like one standard per 100m. Leaving a fair few more on the lower section in the hope they don't come and check. Don't worry they all get planted up if need be and we lay hedges that are suitable. Did film some of this but not a great example so guess he thought best not in the edit. Yes buy lots of cord now but don't do any woodland work so can't film any thinning.

Best of luck .

Yes shame it comes over like that. Stupid thing is I want to leave far more trees but the grant we get for the hedge restoration wants almost all the trees felled. Allowed something like one standard per 100m. Leaving a fair few more on the lower section in the hope they don't come and check. Don't worry they all get planted up if need be and we lay hedges that are suitable. Did film some of this but not a great example so guess he thought best not in the edit. Yes buy lots of cord now but don't do any woodland work so can't film any thinning.

I think the ad is good, looks like a small, caring family business, most log buyers will be looking for a good deal, there will be the odd one or two worried about conservation etc, but the majority will be looking for a good deal, sad but true!

That's a nice video, I've wanted to do something similar with a camera fixed on a falling tree then following it through the process but I don't have the patience. Your wood looks really tidy.

My only suggestions would be replace the kiln dried reference with something like 'all our logs are seasoned naturally so they are dry and burn efficiently' and add a bit with you replanting saplings, not everyone understands that thinning is sustainable.

Personally I like seeing the wood taken from hedges on a small scale, makes a change from seeing videos of people in the woods.

Edited by gdh

Nice video. My only comment would be there's no contact information or delivery areas covered.

The idea is to have this on our website so all information will be on the site. Maybe should have something on it though if people find by browsing youtube etc

Thanks for all the comments so far. Will pass on your compliments to Simon who made it. He has just started out making short films professionally and looks like his style pleases many.

Love the 'feel' of your business. The only points I noted have been raised before...

Talk about the rotational cycle of the trees you are cutting down - You will be cutting the same tree down in 15 years etc etc

'to the same as kiln drying' sets it up as an aspirational target, downplaying your far superior model of attaining the target moisture content without consuming energy to do so.

Contact info on the video just in case it gets 'copied' to areas of the web outside your control.

I agree with Marko. Making a strong point about the increase in the amount of CO2 and other pollutants produced by burning kiln dried firewood or importing it from Eastern Europe is important.

Many people are under the impression that burning wood for fuel is CO2 neutral, which it isn't, when you factor in the production.

I burn 2L of diesel plus chainsaw oil and fuel per cubic meter of wood produced from my coppice and I split it by hand.