Land rover 130 clutch.

woody paul

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least it's not a td5 - it has a dual mass flywheel.....

Tell me about it!

Got it to do in 130 cherrypicker as duel mass is fubar and making some real funky noises.

Garage I use is looking into a conversation kit to do away with it and get a standard flywheel into her.

Apparently a 130 td5 is also a git to do with how everything is mounted.

Tell me about it!

Got it to do in 130 cherrypicker as duel mass is fubar and making some real funky noises.

Garage I use is looking into a conversation kit to do away with it and get a standard flywheel into her.

Are there no solid flywheel conversions available for that Gray? I would imagine the dualmass is being caned with the picker running all day at just over tickover, it may be worth getting shot of it in this application.

Bob

Tell me about it!

130 td5 not any more difficult than a 200 or 300 tdi tbh ! The only things your going to have possible issues with are the cherry picker bits getting in the way but shouldn't be to much of an issue ! Personally I'd stick with an oem duel mass and clutch and educate any drivers that habitually ride the clutch !

Are there no solid flywheel conversions available for that Gray? I would imagine the dualmass is being caned with the picker running all day at just over tickover, it may be worth getting shot of it in this application.

Bob

Hopefully we can find a good quality solid flywheel from a decent manufacturer so as getting a guaranteed with it.

130 td5 not any more difficult than a 200 or 300 tdi tbh ! The only things your going to have possible issues with are the cherry picker bits getting in the way but shouldn't be to much of an issue ! Personally I'd stick with an oem duel mass and clutch and educate any drivers that habitually ride the clutch !

It's because the picker has some extra brackets underneath that make getting the transmission out a bit more fiddly and bringing a td5 out forwards is quite a bit more work than getting the 200tdi out my other landy, not riding the clutch is easier said than done in a vehicle that comes in at 3.3 tons all the time and live in a area where a flat bit of road is a rarity.

Like bob said sitting at just off tickover for long periods has probably given it premature where.

If it were I,I'd get a solid mass flywheel installed only because next time it's cheaper to replace the clutch.

A V8 fibre disc will fit onto a solid flywheel. Wouldn't do any harm to price a Britpart solid flywheel..if it only comes in a kit these days bin the rest and get the V8 disc and a thrust bearing.

A few years ago I replaced the clutch on a friends 130 which had only covered 5000kms on a Britpart solid flywheel and clutch the garage installed. The rivets all came out of the fibre disc. I didn't find any great difficulty with other R380 box configuration to remove. The flywheel was a good part.

Whilst you're at it and the engine is at chest height why not check the fuel cooler for corrosion,replace the rear crank shaft seal,check the fuel pressure regulator for any leaks and check that the exhaust manifold is not warped along with the studs being all OK.

:)

Edited by Ohlins