Small Mistakes Add Up To Catastrophy

Haironyourchest

really good post , that incident was in kenmare was it?

i often find its the small easy jobs where things happen, near misses etc because one thinks ah piece of piss this one, unfortunately cant afford to take ones eye off the ball for a second.

carl

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that as time goes by, I derive more and more satisfaction from doing things properly, efficiently and safely. I like to approach tasks like a puzzle, or a crime scene - identifying hazards, mitigating them. Not saying I am always successful in this endevour, but I try.

Was reading a thing about adrenaline junkies - extreme rock climbers and the like. Apparently they are as a group, anal retentive when it comes to the planning and prep side of things. Really, the opposite of recklessness.

Those studies that show the effects of fatigue on driver's reaction times, mimicking almost exactly the effects of alcohol. I firmly believe that tiredness is a huge factor in personal safety at work.

really good post , that incident was in kenmare was it?

i often find its the small easy jobs where things happen, near misses etc because one thinks ah piece of piss this one, unfortunately cant afford to take ones eye off the ball for a second.

carl

It was, yes. Dead right about the small jobs. I've been told that most car accidents happen within a mile of home (who knows if its true, but sounds like it could be). I think the only way to never let the guard down is just to ingrain the habit of risk assessment in everything we do, from the smallest action up, so it becomes automatic. The auld fellers around here are paranoid about injuries, they always warned the young lads to "Never run in a bog - Always have a stick with you - Never walk behind a cow etc etc!" and they were right. No ambulance in their day, no cellphones, no health insurance. And precious little chance of timely rescue in parts of rural Ireland and parts of the UK as well.

All of the above is worth repetitive reflection.

I always thought that one of the best ideas from the farming Health and Safety was to tie a bit of baler twine on your door in a neat bow to remind you as you leave to come home safely for the sake of your family as well as yourself.

Over the years on the farm it always seems to be the silly little things which cause a serious result out of proportion to their threat.

Just not having a tidy workshop or yard and not picking things up that will trip you up.

Just fumbling about in the dark because you haven't had time to change the light bulb.

Just doing one job too many at the end of the day in fading light when you are knackered

It was, yes. Dead right about the small jobs. I've been told that most car accidents happen within a mile of home (who knows if its true, but sounds like it could be). I think the only way to never let the guard down is just to ingrain the habit of risk assessment in everything we do, from the smallest action up, so it becomes automatic. The auld fellers around here are paranoid about injuries, they always warned the young lads to "Never run in a bog - Always have a stick with you - Never walk behind a cow etc etc!" and they were right. No ambulance in their day, no cellphones, no health insurance. And precious little chance of timely rescue in parts of rural Ireland and parts of the UK as well.

That too was my upbringing, my fathers brother was very protective of us growing up about a farm place, and basically drilled in "think", think think, i.e "what if's", never leave potential hazards for others, or oneself, i.e nails through wood etc, and if knowingly putting oneself in some hazard, have an escape route reasonably planned, and when I started to drive I still remember he said, "but can you drive the other car as well?:lol:

Unfortunately many now have grown up with the idea that they should be protected against themselves and their ill considered actions.

cheers

m

I'm not sure if this is perhaps the right word for it, but 'fear' works for me. I finished reducing a row of 60ft conifers today for a gardening company. It came to flopping the last top and my butt was flapping a bit. I was getting tired, my brain was on the defensive, the groundsman were gardeners with no real experience of rope work etc. it was getting late and the wind was slightly picking up. I needed to thread this last piece between a shed and a summer house and my heart started going a little bit. I found myself double checking my kit, all my attachment points etc. Once checked, it put my mind at rest and dropped it with no dramas. But I like this post, thanks. It makes you think about the fact that if you look after the small things then they'll look after you.

"The groundsman were gardeners?"

Apart from the grammar, the statement speaks volumes about your appraisal and appreciation of "risk"

Is that what you meant to say or have I read / interpreted wrong??

That too was my upbringing, my fathers brother was very protective of us growing up about a farm place, and basically drilled in "think", think think, i.e "what if's", never leave potential hazards for others, or oneself, i.e nails through wood etc, and if knowingly putting oneself in some hazard, have an escape route reasonably planned, and when I started to drive I still remember he said, "but can you drive the other car as well?:lol:

Unfortunately many now have grown up with the idea that they should be protected against themselves and their ill considered actions.

cheers

m

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Think, think, think.....

And don't expect someone else to have done it for you!

Nice thread and always good to be reminded complacency is a dangerous thing.

When you are climbing a big tree you tend to have your wits about you a bit more. I find whenever I'm in a big open tree I keep checking the karabiners have locked. But when you have to take down some scrappy 40ft conifer that's when your second hand nature and day dreaming comes in and puts you at risk I find.

I had this thought the other day actually, it's nice to know most people think the same way as I have worked with some people who are accidents waiting to happen.