My HGV Thread

roseyweb

If the scania is in decent nick, not abused. In budget. That is what I'd be getting. It's the truck that constantly performs reliably throughout it's life.

I drive a 12 and a 14 yr old concrete mixers that havnt had a lot if tlc. They still go well. Low cost of ownership over the lifespan as well.

Someone do doubt will be mentioning a Friday build lemon after I've said this.

I passed both tests in scania

image.jpg.055cebef10f04ab04b5c0a8bf35100c2.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the uk you can 7.5tonner which pre 97 licence people have automatically

CAT C1 & C1E with trailer

Class 2 rigid as big as you like no trailer over 750kg

CAT C

Class 1 rigid with trailer or arctic

CAT CE

Added the UK Cats to that for you.

So we have just 2 Cats for LGV now both with the option of E for trailers.

C 3500kg-7500kg inc trailers up to 750kg

CE upto 12000kg GTW but trailer cant weigh more the vehicle

or

C Over 3500kg inc trailers under 750kg

CE over 3500kg inc trailers over 750kg with no restriction re vehicle or trailer weights.

There was a sandwich pto gearbox that took its drive directly behind the flywheel, Carmichael, from memory, (the fire engine people) were the players . Direct pto shaft drive and full engine power

As above, the normal pto off a gearbox is only good for about 30hp. Webster make a PTO that interrupts the prop after the gearbox that can handle every thing you can throw at it.Just select 4th gear or whichever is 1.1 direct drive (important) disengage prop drive and all is good. Sort out rotation and pto speed at the back of the truck with a drop box.Hydraulics for arms,roller feeds etc are best off an engine driven pump with electromagnetic clutch which then makes it easy to have a kill button on the back of the truck.

Just happen to have one in the bin :laugh1:

image.jpg2_zpslxb6c0oh.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsufor0ugo.jpg

What impact does the Low Emission Zone make to people near London with older trucks? Bob Aspen especially....

Any of these 4x4 trucks can be exempt as a mog is on ag rules, normal lorries converted for forestry or ag use can also apply for exemption with the form and supporting evidence like photos from here. Each case is judged on its merits so you need to lay it on a bit thick. A bolstered timber truck with crane is OK.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone/check-if-your-vehicle-is-affected/exemptions-and-discounts

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

As above, the normal pto off a gearbox is only good for about 30hp. Webster make a PTO that interrupts the prop after the gearbox that can handle every thing you can throw at it.Just select 4th gear or whichever is 1.1 direct drive (important) disengage prop drive and all is good. Sort out rotation and pto speed at the back of the truck with a drop box.Hydraulics for arms,roller feeds etc are best off an engine driven pump with electromagnetic clutch which then makes it easy to have a kill button on the back of the truck.

Just happen to have one in the bin

That sir, is a chunk of utilitarian beauty. The one that dies with the most toys wins and you are leading the game.

The operators license is what confuses me. If you drive upto a 7.5t I understand you can ditch tacho if just taking kit/plant to work within a proximity of your base. You can also ditch CPC in this case if not driving for hire just taking your own kit to a job.

but do you still need a operators license? for UPTO 7.5t? I could do with a nice alloy back 7.5t but can't be bothered with all the agro.

To confuse matter further i understand there is a (less onerous?) restricted operators license

The operators license is what confuses me. If you drive upto a 7.5t I understand you can ditch tacho if just taking kit/plant to work within a proximity of your base. You can also ditch CPC in this case if not driving for hire just taking your own kit to a job.

but do you still need a operators license? for UPTO 7.5t? I could do with a nice alloy back 7.5t but can't be bothered with all the agro.

To confuse matter further i understand there is a (less onerous?) restricted operators license

Not that I'm saying you are but I think the problem with this industry is we try to get away with the minimum, its a farmer mentality.

The O'licence is a few forms, an advert in the paper and agreeing to do 6 weekly checks

Its a few hundred quid but lasts 5 years so broken down isn't to much, my view is that with all the boxes ticked CPC, O licence etc should a opportunity come knocking ie big council felling contract I can go out and buy a timber lorry, bigger lorry etc without having to wait for the paper work to come through.

You need a Fleet manager for a none restricted licence, you can get away with restricted but luckily my bros a fleet manager so I can have a standard licence.

If you read through the forms it makes sense

Its money but if I did't spend it on cool stuff like lorries the misses would spend it on crap like hoovers and washing machines.