Business growth

Orchard

The other thing to consider is by upgrading your chipper it may be cheaper to run from a day to day point of view. If your working your 130 chipper to its limit then that's when I find gear breaks which costs if only in down time. We went from a old 4inch enter to a forst st6 2yr ago, believe it or not the bigger chipper uses less fuel cause it's not always working hard to its limit.

Sometimes you need to go balls deep and hope. :laugh1::laugh1:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Growing a business...

Never refuse work beyond your experience of competance, you can always sub it out with a margin on top.

Always upgrade, whether newer, better or larger, don't stick with anything that holds you back from earning more and that includes employees and subbies.

Avoiding bottlenecks in your waste management, reduce time to tip by using a second vehicle/trailer.

Don't hide your business, be public, advertising on trucks, road side signs during jobs, decent web presence, FB, photograph your work, every-one in the same T'shirt/ uniform.

Sounds like you've got the right attitude already!

Best of luck with the future.

Ty

Growing a business...

Never refuse work beyond your experience of competance, you can always sub it out with a margin on top.

Always upgrade, whether newer, better or larger, don't stick with anything that holds you back from earning more and that includes employees and subbies.

Avoiding bottlenecks in your waste management, reduce time to tip by using a second vehicle/trailer.

Don't hide your business, be public, advertising on trucks, road side signs during jobs, decent web presence, FB, photograph your work, every-one in the same T'shirt/ uniform.

Sounds like you've got the right attitude already!

Best of luck with the future.

Ty

Cheers Ty

Yer I am pretty keen to develop it and I feel I have got the bit between my teeth sort of speak. Your right about the waste management thing also, it's something I need to develop further also. At the minute I need to drive a fair bit to get rid of chip for free.

My trucks are a bit tired but very presentable they will have to do for now.

Chipper first!!!

Ideally i just want to be part of a 3 man team with subbies to make 4 or more whenever required. But I still want the capacity to cope with this amount of staff. The idea being that the 2 men can do jobs by themselves on jobs where it allows. This is when I could price jobs etc.

So you know what you want.

In your shoes I'd go and see about swooping the chipper to a bigger one( maybe use old one as down payment and finance the rest.

)I think you always need to be pushing slightly as you don't want to get complacent.

I put most of my earning back into the business still as I'm lucky that my wife has a good well paid job.

I'm slowly getting the kit together to start another van going. Just a couple of bits left and a van to get now so nearly there!!( I do have enough for 2 with no backups so not risking it until I do.)

Good luck

I think the first major step up is investing in your workforce and developing a kickarse working foreman. This key person needs to be able to take on and complete the work to an acceptable standard within the allocated time frame, without one you will always be tied to your work and never have the time to expand or chase other contracts. Getting loads of work is easy , man managing the work is the tough bit. I am glad I am semi retired :laugh1:

Bob

I think the first major step up is investing in your workforce and developing a kickarse working foreman. This key person needs to be able to take on and complete the work to an acceptable standard within the allocated time frame, without one you will always be tied to your work and never have the time to expand or chase other contracts. Getting loads of work is easy , man managing the work is the tough bit. I am glad I am semi retired :laugh1:

Bob

Very true words.