The route to work today.......

tommer9

Good tip Mike. I will go prepared. I am more than ready to find that it is so pickled that it just sparks and doesnt cut!!

Tom, the wood will be very very seasoned, and i am expecting that if i do manage to cut it it will be a very dark colour, and riddled with gribble worm tunnels..

I wouldn't be so sure, oak in the round can take a phenomenally long time to dry out, especially if its being immersed in salt water twice a day.

Will worm affect it that much? If it was in the water then yes, but thats been out 90% of the time.

I love those drowned river valleys, ever been swimming round the oaks on a very high spring tide when the mackerel follow the whitebait up river? Magic:thumbup1:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be so sure, oak in the round can take a phenomenally long time to dry out, especially if its being immersed in salt water twice a day.

Will worm affect it that much? If it was in the water then yes, but thats been out 90% of the time.

I love those drowned river valleys, ever been swimming round the oaks on a very high spring tide when the mackerel follow the whitebait up river? Magic:thumbup1:

Yeah, oak timber in the round esp hardwood takes for ever to dry. In fact i'm not sure that in this country it would ever dry in the round. About 8 years ago my mate bought some woodland with what weemed like a 12'long overgrown hedge/wall in it. It turned out that it was an oak log, sap rotted right off and six inches of mud on it that the undergrowth was growing out of. I milled it into a beautiful floor, the point being that it was soaking inside, as wet as a green tree. I have often found this. Timber left in salt water, and this tree is submerged about 60% of the time (those pics were taken about 1 1/2 hours before lowwater), seasons like iron, and where someone has cut a burr out sometime in the past it is possible to see evidence of the gribble, but how far it goes up the log remains to be seen. :001_rolleyes:

I'll find out on thurs/ friday:001_huh::001_smile:

The story continues....went back to get the wood today. The boat is equipped with a 5 tonne crane, and a winch that is just enourmous. Its normal job is lifting granite rocks that boats are moored to off the sea bed.

Started at about 9.30 am loading up the little dinghy that took me across to the tree, and finished loading the two logs onto the trailer at about 6 ish tonight. I will post the vids later when youtube has sorted them out.:001_smile: Heres some pics for now.:001_smile:

29092009319.jpg.2dad3da3d4d865f7abe02ef1deee2e55.jpg

29092009320.jpg.59e4f498b1def10df7d856710afeb000.jpg

29092009322.jpg.627718436e79efa877e01a10a455b43a.jpg

29092009323.jpg.3e3847c2284e5bb755e1d1bf52622e6c.jpg

29092009324.jpg.9a8065fb3e894cbe73c54b028a8cee7c.jpg