Oak Tree, crown reduction by a third. Tricky. Big.

:confused1: OP seemed pretty clear to me.

Perhaps it's just the way I read it.....

My interpretation was, "I have an Oak tree ( a job I don't know how to price)"

Perfectly possible I misinterpreted it....?

So, if answering a question for a tree / home owner seeking a price to do a tree task, there's a range somewhere between 2 likely lads from down the pub with baler twine and a Trago chainsaw who'll do the job (of a fashion) on a Sunday asking only the wood for payment, right up to a professional outfit with suitably trained & experienced staff, appropriate equipment and safety mechanisms potentially including TM at around the £500-800 mark.

Either way, it seems likely that some butchery appears imminent.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps it's just the way I read it.....

My interpretation was, "I have an Oak tree ( a job I don't know how to price)"

Perfectly possible I misinterpreted it....?

So, if answering a question for a tree / home owner seeking a price to do a tree task, there's a range somewhere between 2 likely lads from down the pub with baler twine and a Trago chainsaw who'll do the job (of a fashion) on a Sunday asking only the wood for payment, right up to a professional outfit with suitably trained & experienced staff, appropriate equipment and safety mechanisms potentially including TM at around the £500-800 mark.

Either way, it seems likely that some butchery appears imminent.

I'd be thinking £800 to £1200 without the price of TM, for a 1.5-2.5m reduction

Maybe I'm just slow mind.

What are you hoping to achieve by going for a third reduction? More light, concerns over branches failing above the house etc? If it's a reduction for the sake of it, i would recommend leaving well alone, it looks like a beaut. If you have specific requirements then a price for the job would reflect that.

Thanks for all the advice. To answer questions. The tree needs attention due to the proximity to the little house and insurance. Yes I am lucky enough to own the tree. I spend my time managing my own woodland. I have planted 4000 broadleaf myself this year on part of my own land after a clear fell order. I have a beautiful stand of Douglas Fir, another of spruce and some amazing ancient trees. So all in all I would like to think I respect trees fully. I do know one end of a chainsaw from the other as I use one daily but I certainly don't have the skill-set of a professional aborist with regards to climbing and would never attempt to. I was just after a price for advice from someone and subsequently work to the oak as if part fell on the little house I'd have a problem. For the record another oak fell on it 30 years ago. As for lightning striking twice, my house has already been struck.

£440 if you deal with all the arisings

I have to say that is class, having enough experience to quote that once the photo was added.

To the OP if you go into his posts you will see loads of work he has done, don't know the guy, but he's posted some great pics of his reductions on the 'today's job' thread

Edited by tree-fancier123

Sounds like a days work for a couple of good climbers taking it in turns, and maybe an extra groundy to deal with brash.

Why would you need a couple of climbers to take it in turns? I've reduced massive oaks with me just climbing. Sounds like you need to get to the gym.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk