Lighting

jamesd

I need some sort of lighting for my workshop and was thinking about buying some site lighting but I always find them a bit too bright Is there some sort of alternative?

This is the sort of thing I'm thinking about getting: Anyone use something similar or could advise me where to get a decent set?

Tripod Site Light Double 1000W 240V - Toolstation

Cheers

I need some sort of lighting for my workshop and was thinking about buying some site lighting but I always find them a bit too bright Is there some sort of alternative?

This is the sort of thing I'm thinking about getting: Anyone use something similar or could advise me where to get a decent set?

Cheers

Cant help with reviewing the site lights. But..

You could try LED Chip floods as a less intense and power saving alternative. I have 12w x2 pointing down on a bench and 1 x20w over another. The watts are the consumption but the lumina output is way higher. Have conventional strip lights as a overall light then turn on the LED's for when I'm at the benches.

Cheers

As has bee said look at LEDs I have some 3W ones that have PIRs in passageways and 2 8W ones over my bench.

Those 1000W halogens will keep you warm and cost 12p/hour each to run.

As has bee said look at LEDs I have some 3W ones that have PIRs in passageways and 2 8W ones over my bench.

Those 1000W halogens will keep you warm and cost 12p/hour each to run.

Hi mate them 1000w need to be a millionaire to use them mate as you said LEDs are the best way to go thanks John

Depends how big the area is, how high the ceiling is etc. You could fit a number of batten lamp holders or pendants, fit them with CFL or LED bulbs, and you will get a nice even light over the entire workshop.

Then you can have more intense lighting over the workbench.

A halogen lamp by the workbench isn't actually a bad thing in winter as you can get the heat off it!!

You can get LED floodlights off ebay for next to nothing now (2 for a tenner!). Just be careful, on most of them the earth isn't connected, the wattage is overstated, and I would be dubious about how waterproof they are :001_huh: