tracked chipper on vehicles

David Riding

Do any of you carry tracked chippers on a vehicle rather than a trailer,most of staff don't have pre 97 licences, yes I could pay for there trailer licence upgrade and I could obviously employ more people over 32 but just wondering it is feasible. i.e. curved ramps on to a transit or another suitable vehicle, I don't need chip space as when ever tracked chipper is used chip is left on site.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main problem i guess would be the high centre of gravity, i personally wouldnt want to drive a transit with a tracked chipper on the back, they are sloppy enough to drive never mind with all that weight so high up,,,,,

I saw your 110 with a tracked chipper on th 61 at reebok stadium exit yesterday afternoon....

A lot will depend on your existing set up and vehicles.

If you are looking at using an existing set up, there won't be many transits which are kitted out for tree work that have a payload of 1250kg David.

you will probably have to take all the tools and men on another vehicle.

Not saying its not do-able, its probably not very efficient.

If you run a bigger truck then its not going to be a problem.

Cheaper in the long run to put someone through the trailer test IMO.

Yes

I would rather carry the Tracked chipper on a Truck than trailer.

Both have their advantages which is mainly the ease with which you can unload the chipper off a trailer rather than a truck deck.

Also the little things like being able to tow the Tracked chipper with its Chute attached when on a trailer and it being to high when on a Truck deck.

We carry the chipper on the Mog,or back of a 7.5 tonner.I have carried it on a 3.5ton Iveco and it drove well.

Mostly I pull it aroound on a Trailer behind a 4X4.

I've put a tracked chipper in the back of a van before now. How heavy is that chipper and trailer setup? If you were to go for a slightly smaller trailer than that one you've got it maybe that you could be legal with your setup, if you can keep it at about 1.5t I think, depending on how heavy the landy is.

You need to keep the combination weight under 3.5t and the maximum mass of the trailer cannot exceed the weight of the towing vehicle unladen. However if there's something heavy welded into the vehicle it's part of it.....

All depend how low you can go with the weight of the trailer. Ring me if you want me to dig out the paperwork. I printed it all out so I was legal before I did my trailer test.

R

I'd disagree with you there, but be prepared to be proved wrong. I was told by VOSA that they would weigh the vehicle with everything removed, although he did admit that the chances are they wouldn't mess about if you were confident that you were correct, and it seemed to fit in with their boxes.

Every vehicle will have a slightly different weight, any weights will be generic to the model not the individual vehicle I would have thought, again may be wrong.

R