Countryfile bbc1 now

Al Cormack

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah was a PICUS by the looks of it. Sweet Ganodermas and a shame about the beech being dismantled. I wonder if they had considered other options for retention, such as closing off the surrounding area to visitors (though I am sure they did). Hope they have more talk on it later.

With the wisdom of hindsight of seeing the cross section and

based on the images shown in the VT, I felt that there was still ample residual wall strength left in this tree and what looks to be good vitality in the functional sap wood.

Would have been interesting to have known which species of Ganoderma it specifically was and also whether the site had any near misses that may have led to the what I perceive to be a relatively risk averse form of tree management.

The decay 'looks' to be somewhat compartmentalised as it has a pronounced reaction zone that doesn't look to be breached by varying levels of degradation.

I would think a Resistograph would be a better option for measuring and monitoring this type of tree decay/dysfunction rather than a tomograph, particularly where the pronounced fluting would potentially interfere with the sonic readings.

Obviously there may have been other mitigating circumstances as to why this tree required removal that we are not privy to.

Having said all that, I think it was a good showcase for the general public to see what tree inspection and removal can involve.

Batsford.jpg.5143316d49bd9c3eb78913163f2e2893.jpg

59766f0f2d1fb_Batsford2.jpg.b9706fc558545ba12beafc920704c439.jpg

59766f0f2a8d3_Bats4.jpg.4a31b6be07b887c84a43f7e6aa91f8dc.jpg