Pics of your milled products

Andy Collins

Nice, how do you find the metabo planer?

Sorry Ian, just seen this. Very good for my needs, quick with a good finish but then I've nothing to compare it to!

Was practically brand new as the chap had died and his son was clearing out. I paid 360 for it:thumbup:

All great work - liking it - I did a bed headboard like that and the size alone gives it a bit of wow factor.

For the casters under the chair - where did you get them from?

Thanks Rob. The castors came from Hafelle. They're sprung ball bearing ones. I had to router out a deeper socket than normal so that they would be properly recessed. They allow the chair to be moved easily when it's not being sat on but the spring action means the chair sits properly on the legs when a weight is on the chair.

So hey nobody liked my bench then

I very much like the "honesty" of your bench. I like that the joints are obvious and strong. Can't see that falling to bits anytime soon. It's nice to see something that's clearly made with a fair bit of love for the material.

The scripting is a great addition and I'm sure is what people who know little about woodwork will appreciate along with the celebration of the wood itself.

This is my latest project pretty much finished last night. The base was made by a blacksmith chum who speaks little English. I can't draw, don't measure with tapes or rules so explaining what I wanted was a laugh and a half. I ended up showing my friend my hen's feet to get the idea across.

The top is a piece of spalted beech that I milled about 6-7 months ago. The tree had been lying for many years and when I milled the first slab it read about 20% moisture.

I took a couple of the slabs into my spare room, stickered and weighted down. The moisture went down to about 10% very quickly. A few small cracks appeared but only surface ones. One shake opened up in the middle but it didn't travel too far up the board and got tied with butterflies

I used bronze filings and West Systems resin for gap filling and the finish is Blanchon hard wax oil.

59767151d4472_beechtable45.jpg.3721d495911381043ec23e3b48483bc2.jpg

59767151d68fc_bronzefiller.jpg.792abcfa237cf71d53965afcf9d713d9.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg.5032c46b28fa0538a54bfb588cda3f1c.jpg

This is my latest project pretty much finished last night. The base was made by a blacksmith chum who speaks little English. I can't draw, don't measure with tapes or rules so explaining what I wanted was a laugh and a half. I ended up showing my friend my hen's feet to get the idea across.

The top is a piece of spalted beech that I milled about 6-7 months ago. The tree had been lying for many years and when I milled the first slab it read about 20% moisture.

I took a couple of the slabs into my spare room, stickered and weighted down. The moisture went down to about 10% very quickly. A few small cracks appeared but only surface ones. One shake opened up in the middle but it didn't travel too far up the board and got tied with butterflies

I used bronze filings and West Systems resin for gap filling and the finish is Blanchon hard wax oil.

That is a very interesting piece. I like the contrast between the raw slab and the metal feet.

Alec