Pics of your milled products

Andy Collins

some yew, to be made into a table and some other stuf for xmas presents

i can now see why people stare at paintings for hours on end, this wood looks beautifull in the flesh!

[ATTACH]24835[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24836[/ATTACH]

and sorry Rob D for not sorting any wood out, but this milling lark is addictive!

So back in 2009 I milled a yew i felled in a cambridge university. I made a rustic table for mums birthday present, she wrote an award winning poem about the yew covering a long forgotten clue to the uni's nazi connections, and the rest of the planks got stored, along with a walnut plank RobD milled out of a few of my walnut stems at a frjones show.

My old carpentry teacher recently took the wood to turn into this table, and 2 stools...

IMG_8866.jpg.59a149d4ebe66fee9fc86c40e1a94b7c.jpg

IMG_8866.jpg.59a149d4ebe66fee9fc86c40e1a94b7c.jpg

So back in 2009 I milled a yew i felled in a cambridge university. I made a rustic table for mums birthday present, she wrote an award winning poem about the yew covering a long forgotten clue to the uni's nazi connections, and the rest of the planks got stored, along with a walnut plank RobD milled out of a few of my walnut stems at a frjones show.

My old carpentry teacher recently took the wood to turn into this table, and 2 stools...

[ATTACH]203131[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]203131[/ATTACH]

Great table......

But....

Tell us more about the poem!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

207 year old oak (at the final count!). 9 foot long, 4 inch thick top, 6 inch thick legs from same tree. No stretcher used. The legs were joined to the top with 18 inch steel straps router housed into the top.

The larch bench was made during an afternoon's drinking session, hence the slightly dodgy legs!

_MG_6977small2.jpg.949cd5a76fd58812c246ad31e5016705.jpg

Really love wood for the tops , but are you sure the legs are strong enough ?.. ( joking ! ) Very nice indeed , are they for your own use or do you sell them ?

I'm not that great at joints and measuring and accuracy and all - that so it's much easier to make big simple legs!

I only make things for my own enjoyment. I don't do commissions at all. I find working to someone else's plan incredibly stressful. I run a pretty large cafe so any tables etc that I make get used in the cafe. I eventually sold these two tables although none of my work is advertised for sale. However, I'm aware that I need to charge a decent price for the work as I have huge respect for the guys who make a living from this kind of thing, so I do charge above the market rate whenever a punter asks if something is for sale.