Pics of your milled products

Andy Collins

That looks the dogs dangleberries.

I'm pretty new to making things out of milled boards and wondered if you could take photos of how you attached the top, and talk me through how you do the butterflies? Always keen to learn better ways of doing things. Love the resin addition too.

Thanks in advance

Butterfly - I draw them out on the piece of wood I'm going to make them from and cut them out on a bandsaw. Then I draw round the wooden butterfly onto the surface where the crack is. Then I use a combination of a multi tool and chisel to chip out the shape. To fit the butterfly I sand the edges to chamfer it slightly so that it fits into the hole but gets tighter as it goes in.

The top is fixed in place as in the picture. It means that the top slab can expand and contract if it wants to but the top is reasonably firmly attached to the base. So there's one of these pegs at the end of each supporting arm.

butterfly.JPG.0c5ebb217c295037e652765264081eee.JPG

Butterfly - I draw them out on the piece of wood I'm going to make them from and cut them out on a bandsaw. Then I draw round the wooden butterfly onto the surface where the crack is. Then I use a combination of a multi tool and chisel to chip out the shape. To fit the butterfly I sand the edges to chamfer it slightly so that it fits into the hole but gets tighter as it goes in.

The top is fixed in place as in the picture. It means that the top slab can expand and contract if it wants to but the top is reasonably firmly attached to the base. So there's one of these pegs at the end of each supporting arm.

That's an awesome way of attaching the a big slab as a top!

The round table took about 2 days including milling the timber on my Woodmizer. It's kinda hard because I do it mostly in the evenings after other work so it's not consecutive.

The bigger table took pretty much the same, although I milled the top slab with an Alaskan on that.

It's interesting to hear how long things take. I don't really measure time taken for any real reason. I reckon the last table took maybe about 20 hours but making the wee pegs for attaching the top took about an hour each, maybe more. It's the fiddly things that test patience!

A good friend of mine is a full time professional wood craftsman who makes some spectacular work. He's working on a carver chair just now. He says it'll take him a week - 10 days. So it's easy to see why he'll charge maybe £1500 for that. Huge respect!

It's interesting to hear how long things take. I don't really measure time taken for any real reason. I reckon the last table took maybe about 20 hours but making the wee pegs for attaching the top took about an hour each, maybe more. It's the fiddly things that test patience!

A good friend of mine is a full time professional wood craftsman who makes some spectacular work. He's working on a carver chair just now. He says it'll take him a week - 10 days. So it's easy to see why he'll charge maybe £1500 for that. Huge respect!

It's not just the time something takes to make that should be taken into consideration but also the time it takes to train and learn the skills.

I often get asked at shows how long it has taken to make something and I reply about 35 years because thats how long ago I started out in this game.

As for your mate charging £1500 for 10 days work that equates to less then £19 an hour including materials assuming he works an 8 hour day.

• 4 weeks later...