New mower

widge34

I'm a Landscape gardener. I'm looking for a new mower after the drive shaft packed up on my 7 year old Honda.

I really like the sound of the Viking 6 series, especially the wet grass collection. My only concern is the 30mm minimum cut height. Is there anyway to lower this height with spacers or something?

Honda's are great all the time there new & fresh unfortanatly there parts are realy expensive so once gearbox trouble starts you be as well through them in the bin. I am running a Viking 248MB. Not going to do any big lawns with it but for slining out in & out van, up steps on & off lawn arears its best mower i have had alot faster on smaller lawns than a 21inch. I did hit a bit of rebar poking out stop cock man hole under a hedge it bent the blade boss it hit realy hard & stopped engine dead. Restart its shaking around like a wacker plate. Visit to local dealer I gotta new boss after a difficutl time pulling old boss off it new one went on as good as new runs smooth again for£15. Realy impreesed with this cheap mower goes to show less is best somtimes.

Regards hieght of cut I never cut lower than 30mm. Usaly I set to around 40mm to 50mm most regular lawns. I find its beter for the grass keeps it richer more green arera to catch some rays for photosynthesis, smothers weeds, retains water & roots gets longer. I just like it little longer.

I'm a Landscape gardener. I'm looking for a new mower after the drive shaft packed up on my 7 year old Honda.

I really like the sound of the Viking 6 series, especially the wet grass collection. My only concern is the 30mm minimum cut height. Is there anyway to lower this height with spacers or something?

On the 6 series there is no way to lower blade has the variable speed pulley is located above the blade .

Ste

Rule of thumb is don't cut more than a third of the grass height in one go. So the shorter you want it the more often you will need to cut. That's why golf greens that are cut down to 3 mm need to be cut every day or every other. Jo Bloggs seems to think that if you can't cut often better take as much off as possible where as in fact it would look better left longer and the grass will be more healthy. One of the biggest reasons for ending up with patchy grass with lots of moss is cutting too short! IMHO

Take a look at Etesia mowers. They have been around for a long time and are known for grass collection in the wet. We have had ours for 3 months now and it cuts and drops, cuts and mulches and collects.

Ours is the LKX2 model with the Kawasaki engine which is good for slopes up to 30 degrees. :thumbup:

Edit - this is a pic of ours in action today cutting and dropping as this section was longer.

12523034_913198278770978_4153710529624154102_n.jpg.703f6f47267a24acc8a2c67b682f52a5.jpg