winch ground anchor

chris hennelly

I made a very simple ground anchor out of two heavy pieces of flat bar with holes drilled in, laid in a v shape and joined with a shakle and secured to the ground with 2 foot long, 10mm pins driven through the holes.

I have also used 5 heavy pegs, about 20m. By 2 foot, driven into the ground in a v shape with a strop wrapped around them so they all take an equal amount of strain.

Ground Anchor,Tirfor/Winch Anchor, Ex Army Unused | eBay

I copied this design, went to steel fabricators got 4 foot length 3" by 1/4" angle bar and asked them to burn a 25mm ish hole about 2 inches in the centre from one end for steel carabiner, shackle etc. Was about £15 for angle bar and got 10 road pins, drilled 13mm holes for road pins

...so,could a stout chain laid in the shape of a V and secured with road pins through the links make an effective ground anchor on a paddock with no vehicular accesss and no other anchor points?.....(just hypothetical...).

Hi CHRIS are you on about a winch ground anchor if so DEVON 4x4 do some good ones but there's a member on that does professional offloading and he has some for sale thanks John

Going back to the original post, yes a length of chain or even knotted rope works just as well, but try to keep you pins in a straight line on each 'leg of the v' so no one pin is loaded any more than another. Its got me out scrapes/ wet holes many times without spending money on super kit that spends 99.9% of its time taking up usefull space. If ya flush spend away, if ya practical use ya head.

Shaun