Am i right for thinking this way?

dangerous brian

Went to look at a job tonight,the job in question was a 40 foot sycamore twin stemmed with bt lines through it and to one side a green house,if the job went well you could probably have got it done and dusted in 6 hours.i have a day rate of 250 pounds per day and thats what i quoted based on 2 men chipper truck etc,when i said this he screwed his face up and said ive had cheaper quotes 2 infact,i asked how cheap he said 150 quid im thinking pikeys straight away but he then produced the quotes and showed me,one i didnt know,but the otherone on paper at least is one of the biggest firms goin .The client said if i matched their quotes i could have the job,as i seemed the most amiable,but i said no as i explained to him that i wouldnt be making anything from the job,i told him to go with the bigger firms quote and went on my way,but was i right it felt right i just cant see how they were goin to make any money out of the job,unless the recession bit harder than i thought rant over cheers brian.:confused1:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you'll ever know - unless of course you called the other firm up and put the question to them?!

It could be they are only just hanging onto their business and are desperate for the work, it could be the quoter was in a real rush and underestimated, he could have been new to quoting...

The thing is it doesn't really matter - the job was too cheap for you so good on you for sticking to your guns I say.... A price is a price.

:thumbup:

My thoughts are that the larger known company may have sent one of their lads around to price on the way home and the may not have taken in all the details of the job in hand, thought "yeah we'll blitz that in a couple of hours, 150 quid" reported back, quote sent out. Good call to walk away.:thumbup1:

Went to look at a job tonight,i have a day rate of 250 pounds per day and thats what i quoted based on 2 men chipper truck etc,w.:confused1:

£250 per day! That's cheap...

Working roughly from my accounts last year-

costs/expenses 230 days on tools a daily costs are:

£120 for a climber

£70 for the groundie

£12 insurance

£20 fuel

£30 advertising

£17 accountants and office supplies, bank charges etc

£25 new equipment and plant maintence

£16 vehicle maintence

£310 per work day it costs me for a truck chipper, climber and groundie.

That doesn't include

rent

cost of waste disposal

time spent quoting

VAT

So yes you were right to tell him to bog off! But you are still too cheap. IMO..