Apprenticeships

WillTimberlake

No but still at college 3 days a week.

I tried other lads paying them less and they were all useless!

I would not pay less than that anyway as its not in my interest to have someone working and not paying attention to detail.

Like anything you get what you pay for.

Do you want to have a think about that?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started on £50 a day, 6-7years ago, think that was a good starter at the age of 16. 👍🏼

I started on £50 a week as a new lad in the dark ages back in 1990...but such as life things do change. I feel its hard to find a good grafter in this day and age...whos willing to learn the trade and likes working in all weathers, and whos got a bit of common about them..however i have come across alot of good lads over the years who are worth a good wage..I am a free lance climber with all kit required and I charge (like most on here) £150 aday..if you base this wage against the apprentices wage maybe you wont get burned...i.e £50 aday is a good wage. Cheers and good luck.

I'm too old :thumbdown: gutted

When I started out my apprenticeship(mechanic) 15years ago I started on £1.75 an hour!!! My old man always said stick it out it will be worth it in the long run, he was right :001_tt2:

My own apprentice moans about his wage at the moment, seems good boys that are willing to learn are hard to find! He doesn't listen his timekeeping is poor, his attitude towards his work is poor.. Feel like I'm just wasting my time :thumbdown:

I would advertise the job, get a few you are happy to employ...give the a few days trial too see if they are up to it and go from there?

If you want someone good you you need to pay them a decent wage.

Minimum apprentice wage will get you an idiot most likely

Agreed!! I've had a few apprentices and they've been terrible a couple have been okay.

I found that most the lads on the apprenticeship were told by the college "do this course". Most had to be spoon fed information all the time. I get it when you start but not 18months later.

But the most annoying thing for me was the lack of support the college gave us. Meetings cancelled 5 minutes before I arrive. Lecturers turning up for a site check and are in trainers and no hard hat (sent off site!).

Don't forget they are entitled to 1.5 days off per month plus bank/national holidays.

For me I found it a much better investment to employe someone who's got most the tickets and some experience. Then pay for the rest of the tickets as you go.

Thanks for all your input guys. It's been really helpful.

Just a couple more questions... Will I, the employee have to pay the full amount for each ticket, or just part of it?

Also, regarding sick pay, Will I have to pay them sick pay, if they are I'll for one or two days? Or is it only if they have a sick note from a doctor?

Thanks for all your input guys. It's been really helpful.

Just a couple more questions... Will I, the employee have to pay the full amount for each ticket, or just part of it?

Also, regarding sick pay, Will I have to pay them sick pay, if they are I'll for one or two days? Or is it only if they have a sick note from a doctor?

By taking on an apprentice you are investing in YOUR business, so paying for training is a benefit to you. That said try and protect your investment.

The only sick pay that anyone is entitled to is SSP which you pay but claim back.

To the OP are you talking about taking on an official apprentice through the apprenticeship scheme or is it something your calling it by giving the lad down the road a job? An official apprentice through a collage will get approx £102 per week, all ppe has to be provided along with pay for attending collage and holiday pay, sick pay can be ssp, this is a minimum but can pay what ever you want. Although not vastly expensive it is a big comitment to a small firm as due to collage attendance holidays etc there not at work that much. If it's a young lad and your taking him on and calling him the apprentice then min wage kicks in at 6 pound odd an hour, you still have his ppe and holidays to pay .

I have done it but wouldn't again as they never seem to be at work.

Edited by Ian C