Apprenticeships

WillTimberlake

Evening all,

Over the few days I've had off I've been considering taking an apprentice on in June/July/September 2016.

Just to clarify,

1. What is the weekly pay that I have to pay someone under 21.

2. Will I need to provide PPE by law, as people keep telling me other things. I always thought that I had too.

Any opinions, pros and cons please to taking someone on.

(I've already got my eye on somebody who is interested but need to find out more information first).

Merry Xmas all!

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening all,

Over the few days I've had off I've been considering taking an apprentice on in June/July/September 2016.

Just to clarify,

1. What is the weekly pay that I have to pay someone under 21.

2. Will I need to provide PPE by law, as people keep telling me other things. I always thought that I had too.

Any opinions, pros and cons please to taking someone on.

(I've already got my eye on somebody who is interested but need to find out more information first).

Merry Xmas all!

Thanks

Yes to the Ppe unless they are self employed.

I beg to differ. There is more to offer than money initially. Training someone takes time and effort. If you want someone experienced don't get an apprentice, if you want to invest in someone's future then go for it. My apprentice is coming up to completing his course and is already the best grounds man I have had work for me. I have great hopes for his continued development within my company.

If you want someone good you you need to pay them a decent wage.

Minimum apprentice wage will get you an idiot most likely

Rubbish.

If you want a good wage work hard and learn and see your wage rise.

Apprentices can be attractive as you can mould them to how you want them to be, instead of the fresh out of college hot shot climber who knows the job better than you, won't take instruction, and thinks he's worth £150 a day.

A bloke I do some work for has had a few apprentices over the years, he pays them the minimum wage but gives them the chance to get a little top-up each week, fifty pence an hour attendance bonus (getting into work every day), fifty pence an hour for pulling their finger out. Might not sound a lot but £40/week bonus is a lot to a young lad. It seems to work well.

Rubbish.

If you want a good wage work hard and learn and see your wage rise.

Apprentices can be attractive as you can mould them to how you want them to be, instead of the fresh out of college hot shot climber who knows the job better than you, won't take instruction, and thinks he's worth £150 a day.

Pay someone £2 an hour and see what you get!

I'm not talking big money but people need to put a roof over their heads.

However just looked it up and for a 21 year old it's £6.70.

A bloke I do some work for has had a few apprentices over the years, he pays them the minimum wage but gives them the chance to get a little top-up each week, fifty pence an hour attendance bonus (getting into work every day), fifty pence an hour for pulling their finger out. Might not sound a lot but £40/week bonus is a lot to a young lad. It seems to work well.

I agree with that. You will get far more from them if you pay them something worth having!

As many others on here I started on peanuts and remained on them for years. I have a genuine enjoyment of work.

I still have a good work ethic.

I've also employed young lads on a weekend, holidays etc. 10 years ago I paid a 16yr old £5 an hour, he was a good grafter for me. I since regretted it, he went on to use that as a benchmark.

"I've been paid £5 an hour, I'm worth it" attitude. Now he's an arrogant the world owes me. I feel I contributed to that.

Similar has happened since. I genuinely think the performance bonus scheme tailored to the individual could be best.

Pay a flat rate. Then keep in mind the continuing performance and give decent bonus perhaps when he/she is going on holiday, buying first car etc. make it unexpected/irregular. Hit and miss. That way you will not get sulks if it's a hard time for the business, keeps the joy in the bonus as well.

I'm not worried about having someone who's dog *hit. I've had many college lads with me on days, some on more than one. Many are absolutely definitely a NO. We'll all of them are, except one. He's brilliant. Been with me a couple of times now and is the bees knees. He's not money ordinated, he wants to learn and better himself in the tree surgery world. We haven't discussed £'s per day/week yet but I don't think it'll be a big issue for him to start on the lowest wage. I feel he is a real asset to my company.

I like the way of giving them irregular bonus', as this encourages them to go above and beyond, even more!

Still considering it all at the moment and weighing up the pros and cons.