What is reasonable?

Daniël Bos

Just noticed this was bought in the spring so would still be under the old rules (sale of goods act rather than the consumer rights act which was introduced in October) which means this link provides the relevant info rather than the other one with the consumer rights act info.

How to reject a faulty product and get your money back - Which?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I should have said "not entitled to an immediate refund" as because the 30 days has expired the vendor has to be given one chance to repair or replace in the period up to 6 months. Only if that repair or replacement does not work is the purchaser entitled to refund.

This is under the new act, I am trying to get my head around whether purchases prior to October are still covered under the old, and vague, 'reasonable time' rule.

And of course, its worth remembering the is 'Consumer Rights Act 2015' only applies to consumers. Business users such as firewood merchants, arborists etc are not classed as consumers, so are not protected under this act.

This new act is clearer than the old act but is still taking a little understanding.

Buy crap item made by crap company get crap customer service.

Trading standards or citizens advice id think.

Next time use a reputable dealer.

Hope its not an expensive lesson learned mate

Have I missed something, or are you spouting IT again?

The OP only said it was a couple of saws, we don't know what company made them, he also stated that in the past the dealer was reputable.

And as for buying from your local dealer........ How many on here buy on-line, because that's where the best deals are?

The OP only said it was a couple of saws, we don't know what company made them, he also stated that in the past the dealer was reputable.

And as for buying from your local dealer........ How many on here buy on-line, because that's where the best deals are?

I try to buy local but only today managed to get a really good deal on a mower from Jones £300 cheaper than local place. £50 I don't mind but £300 I know where my money is going! It was in the clearance sale though.

I'l buy some things online..packs of files, new chains & bars...but for oils, saws and spare parts go local every time...if you're on £100 a day for example and your local sorts you out over night its no great loss...being stopped for a week or more whilst you wait for a remote company to sort you out suddenly becomes dear :thumbdown:

Thanks folks,

I've been intentionally vague about just what I bought from who as I don't wish to tarnish anyone's reputation needlessly.

The machines are good quality pro machines, bought from this dealer because of the wish for warranty, not price. I could have had them cheaper elsewhere.

I'll send a link to this thread, but the complete lack of comms means I've not much hope to be honest.

I bought a couple of (new, identical) saws by post in spring, it was bought from a retailer with a reasonable reputation.

I'm fairly pleased with 'em, though I had to wait a while longer for delivery than expected.

Not used either of them much over summer but now I've started using them in earnest a fault has come up. It's not a major one, there is an issue with the wee starter pawl thingies smashing cooling fins off the flywheel.

The saw that's had most use has done this, the lesser used one will before long.

There is no conceivable way this is down to user error/abuse.

It is either a design flaw or faulty parts. (in either case the manufacturer would be aware by now as it's not a new model saw?) and the only fix I can see is to just replace the flywheel and keep fingers crossed it doesn't happen again?

I contacted the retailer, sent pictures etc. he said he'd not heard of the issue before and to send it back.

I sent it back, it arrived on 11/11.

On 17/11 I sent an email asking after it as I'd not heard anything yet.

On 18/11 I got a message saying it had been sent back to the manufacturer as this issue had not been seen afore and that I would be kept updated.

That was the last I heard.

I've since sent email, pm and text messages without getting any reply:thumbdown: I know the retailer is not dead, he has an online presence that was active earlier today:sneaky2:

The saw has been away for 5 weeks, I've not got any closer to a fix or replacement, the only info I've recieved is when I asked what was happening, I'm not happy.:confused1:

The retailer is not anywhere near me or I'd have gone to talk in person.

As far as I can see the only way to fix was just to replace the flywheel (you can't stick cast alloy flywheel fins back on surely?) a 20 minute job at most.

The manufacturers are in europe so it should take no more than 3 or 4 days to courier?

I'm not sure what to do next? I need that saw back, or a replacement (I needed it before last weekend really) but I get no answer.

we have a Husky Dealer in Argyll that has an average repair time of 6 - 9 months for minor problems , TBH your not doing too bad .

Ive never bought a saw online and never will.

I like to give the buisness to local dealers and i like to see the saw,feel its weight in my hand before i purchase.

Local dealers i find will give little extras into the deal aswell,some 2 stroke stihl shot bottles, some files or a new maintenance kit.

Maybe its just the tight arsed scotsman in me..!

I bought all my saws online, once I get the saw I build up a spares kit, plug, filter, brake band, recoil starter spring, pull cord, spare chain etc. If the saw fails then those are the things I can repair (on site if required) other than that a local dealer isn't going to have it fixed any faster. Assuming I have to leave what I'm doing to take the saw to the dealer and go back to collect it I'll have wasted a day. I have a back up saw anyway and if my saw lets me down on a Saturday afternoon a dealer won't have it sorted by Monday morning, there's a chance I will.

Horses for Courses.