New briquette trial

woodworm

Today, we took some torrefied biomass to a briquette manufacturer, and we made some briquettes out of a mixture of sawdust and torrefied biomass.

This is something we will be pursuing as the results have been quite incredible.

We put a few in our wood burner with a firelighter and under 15 minutes later took the photo below

We will producing more of these briquettes with the same company in 2016 producing fuel for use in woodburners and chimnea's

59766eab05792_50-50briquette.jpg.4882abfe0e3a28c925312722ddc37fd4.jpg

We knew torrefied biomass was good!

Get the briquettes tested by WoodSure.

What's the kWh per kg?

Have a look at one of the market leaders - Verdo.

Verdo are 3 miles up the road from us I tried their stuff and it was a waste of time. My stove runs the hottest on softwood off cuts which people turn their noses up and throw away. Seems strange theire is a whole industry that puts a lot of energy into mashing up something that already burns better.

Verdo are 3 miles up the road from us I tried their stuff and it was a waste of time. My stove runs the hottest on softwood off cuts which people turn their noses up and throw away. Seems strange theire is a whole industry that puts a lot of energy into mashing up something that already burns better.

Surly torification is also about energy density. Softwood does burn hot but also gone in a flash, not that many kWh per m3

Edited by Woodworks

Surly torification is about energy density. Softwood does burn hot but also gone in a flash, not that many kWh per m3

I am not saying bricks are no good all wood burners are different could just be my set up.

I used to burn two year seasoned beech. But currently burn 3x2 softwood off cuts the top flap is shut and bottom cracked open on our hunter. The heat out put is better but it does burn about a third quicker. With beech I used empty the ash pan every two to three days now it's over a week.

When changing from a dense hard wood to soft wood it takes a bit of time to get the confidence to shut the flaps down.

we have a verdo plant near us as well and i was in doing some modifications to some steam lines and the first thing that struck me was the energy input to make pellets and briquettes it sounds simplistic but why chop up logs and chip and compress them to make logs:confused1: