Youtube Treats

coolie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

vid 4, how'd that 'save' and extra 20 ft of length???

The slope is shorter than the hight of the tree, the portion of the tree that sticks up beyond the top of the slope will snap off as the tree hits the deck, so by sliding the tree back down the slope less timber is lost.

I think :001_smile:

That's pretty clever stuff in the first couple of vids... I can sort of see the principle but there's no chance I'd have the balls to do that in someones back garden !! Looked a bit random to start with - I suppose getting that wedge in there as you're doing the back cut and the way you carry on cutting is what makes it work... Saves getting pull ropes and winches out...

Yes clever stuff indeed :thumbup:

:confused1: He only pulled, at the very most, a couple of feet of fibres!! which on a 200ft log ain't too bad and on the last one he saved 20ft of log.

And as time is money, he saved way more than the value of a little lost timber by not having to have a winch and winch man.

No need for a winch on any of them trees...Good cutting tecnique and proper use of wedges i would have that tree down just as fast if not faster, with at least one feet longer log (especially with middle unharmed since its the most valuble bit) and ,yes, in a few days cutting thats another couple of trees.:sneaky2:

I was wondering what the common Commercial Forest spieces were in Sweden and Britian too.

In NZ it is predominantly Radiata Pine,Douglas Fir and Euc Nitens(pulp),lol.

Here it is mostly Pinus sylvestris and Picea abies.

But also Larix sp, beech and birch (and aspen for matches...;-) )

Harvesters can only deal with some trees (smaller ones) the bigger is beeing felled manually. Esp close to built up areas where forrests been left alone or forrests that hasnt been on hard maintenence schemes (small private plots)

No need for a winch on any of them trees...Good cutting tecnique and proper use of wedges i would have that tree down just as fast if not faster, with at least one feet longer log (especially with middle unharmed since its the most valuble bit) and ,yes, in a few days cutting thats another couple of trees.:sneaky2:

It was YOUwho suggested a winch!!!!!!!!!!!!!:001_rolleyes:

So come on where YOUR vid?????????????????????????:001_rolleyes:

The slope is shorter than the hight of the tree, the portion of the tree that sticks up beyond the top of the slope will snap off as the tree hits the deck, so by sliding the tree back down the slope less timber is lost.

I think :001_smile:

thats what i thought

It was YOUwho suggested a winch!!!!!!!!!!!!!:001_rolleyes:

So come on where YOUR vid?????????????????????????:001_rolleyes:

im waiting for a vid tooo :001_smile: