Cast iron or steel

richardwale

Just bought a Clearview Pioneer which is steel. I'm hoping it's going to be ok and last me a good few years :thumbup1:

We've been running a clearveiw 750 for the last 12 years and theres no corrosion, no buckling and the only significant blemish is where I part melted a trainer on the top! Its just about due for new rope on one of the doors so pretty durable.

I dont think you need to worry about the life of clearveiw stuff

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Aardvark, I've had a Clearview Vision 500 for 5 years now, no problems at all, still on the same rope seal.

I myself was torn between cast iron and steel, that was until I took a trip to Clearview house in Ludlow, quite impressive set up there.

At the end of the day, it's down to preference of style, size, colour, cost etc, but there isn't any concerns over the quality of the steel that Clearview use in manufacturing, plus they're manufactured in Shropshire-no Chinese rubbish!!!

There is a video on the Clearview website showing how to light the stoves. The stove they used for the video is in the showroom and is 20 years old and has been lit 5 days a week for 50 weeks every year-say no more really.

Balesy

Edited by balesy

I agree with Aardvark, I've had a Clearview Vision 500 for 5 years now, no problems at all, still on the same rope seal.

I myself was torn between cast iron and steel, that was until I took a trip to Clearview house in Ludlow, quite impressive set up there.

At the end of the day, it's down to preference of style, size, colour, cost etc, but there isn't any concerns over the quality of the steel that Clearview use in manufacturing, plus they're manufactured in Shropshire-no Chinese rubbish!!!

There is a video on the Clearview website showing how to light the stoves. The stove they used for the video is in the showroom and is 20 years old and has been lit 5 days a week for 50 weeks every year-say no more really.

Balesy

Well I seem to have got one that has slipped through their quallity control.

I bought a vision 500 flat top a few weeks ago and got round to fitting it last Wedneday but after 3 small fires noticed that not all was well.

There were smoke stains on the glass and body at the top of the door where it was not sealing properly and hinge adjustment would not cure it, it was so bad that a torch placed inside the stove shone a light through when door was closed.

I took the door back to the shop who tried it on another stove with the same result so it looks like the door may have too much curvature.

I am now waiting for them to contact clearview for a solution and thankful the stove is in a room thats being renovated so dont want heat because of cracking the fresh lime mortar.

We now get to see what clearviews customer suport is llike so watch this space !

Our little Hunter stove has a 8mm steel body and top and cast door and grate bars. If a stove is getting hot enough to buckle steel it wants turning down as it is dangerous. Cast iron can crack instead of buckling but again if it's getting that hot it is badly designed.