Age of climbing gear

jamesd

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as its loler inspected every 6 months then indefinatly.

Nope, not indefinite even the most durable item will wear out

Loler actually highly recommend inspections every 6 months on kit that go unused for long periods as mechanical devices can degrade internally without the user noticing any outer signs if wear.

Nope. PPE should be subject to a thorough independent inspection every 6 months and rigging kit every 12 months

What ive said is bang on.Never known climbing kit to be referred to as PPE .

What you said is wrong and climbing kit has been called PPE since Adam was young

Nope, not indefinite even the most durable item will wear out

Nope. PPE should be subject to a thorough independent inspection every 6 months and rigging kit every 12 months

What you said is wrong and climbing kit has been called PPE since Adam was young

If the guys kit is inspected and passed by loler every 6 months then it will last idefinatly ,unless you have the ability to look into the future and say exactly when it will wear out.Thats why i said indefinatly not last forever.Obviously everything will wear out within time that goes without saying.

And loler strongly recommend that mechanical devices are inspected every 6 months aswell due to internal degredation of parts which ive stated above.

And,unlike you,i dont know every thing about arboriculture so i was unaware climbing kit was known as PPE.

If the guys kit is inspected and passed by loler every 6 months then it will last idefinatly ,unless you have the ability to look into the future and say exactly when it will wear out.

If LOLER says 5 years from first use, then it won't last indefinitely. Harness, ropes, slings, should all be ditched 5 years after being put into service.

Mine won't be thrown out, but I'm not a legit outfit with all the bells and whistles.

Can see rope being really dodgy, not only sunlight, but there may be other ways it could degrade.

If the guys kit is inspected and passed by loler every 6 months then it will last idefinatly ,unless you have the ability to look into the future and say exactly when it will wear out.Thats why i said indefinatly not last forever.Obviously everything will wear out within time that goes without saying.

And loler strongly recommend that mechanical devices are inspected every 6 months aswell due to internal degredation of parts which ive stated above.

And,unlike you,i dont know every thing about arboriculture so i was unaware climbing kit was known as PPE.

Your wrong and he's right, trust me I passed my loler inspectors course last month

The problem here is terms, manufacturers accept that all equipment has a finite life span. They don't use terms like indefinite because all things are finite.

Under LOLER equipment is passed for continued use until its next inspection date, if it doesn't have a current inspection it should be withdrawn from service until that situation has been corrected.

The issue of mechanical devices serves only as a recommendation that MAY modify the inspection frequency for some equipment. This recommendation would only bring the inspection frequency in line with that for PPE (6 monthly). For the purposes of LOLER in tree work it makes little or no practical difference.

Thanks for the info guys.

So what i can gather is 5years for material stuff from first use i.e rope and harness.

and no limit on metal items just use until they are no longer fit for purpose?

That's pretty much spot on

To keep it neat and tidy I would say retire kit a according to manufacturers recommendations or in the event of it fails a LOLER inspection. Some manufacturers may have different guidance depending on what the item is.

That's pretty much spot on

To keep it neat and tidy I would say retire kit a according to manufacturers recommendations or in the event of it fails a LOLER inspection. Some manufacturers may have different guidance depending on what the item is.

This is "how I understand the situation", albeit not said as a LOLER qualified person (the course is too hard n scary :001_huh:)

However, IF you propose to use, in particular textile items, beyond the manufacturers recommended lifespan, e.g. usually 5 years, I would also seek the view of your insurance company.

Good thread, thank you all.

Paul