The D.I.Y arb truck chip body thread

steve7962

Wazz, nice job on the chip body, would you happen to have any pics of the build itself you can share? I need to get ours done this winter and have a local welder who is game but we could do with some direction with regards to the framing and how the ali bolts and rivets etc?

Cheers

Hi James, I didn't take any pics of the build in progress. I can give you some pointers but would be easier over the phone than trying to type it all here. There's a place where you can buy the sub frame and tipping gear complete to suit your vehicle, then you can just build the alli box onto that, not sure how much tho as I built mine myself, but might be worth a look at.

Cheers mate, it's about 75cm above the sides if I remember. I've never measured the volume actually, surprises me how much it can hold to be fair.

Did you just bolt this to the bed sides? I want to similar but imagine it may bulge out with heavy loads in the back.

I had a plan to have legs down into the bolt fixed to the floor aswell

Did you just bolt this to the bed sides? I want to similar but imagine it may bulge out with heavy loads in the back.

I had a plan to have legs down into the bolt fixed to the floor aswell

I fill it most days and it never bulges out. I fitted to rails of angle iron to the bed sides first. They are permanent on the truck and then the body slides on between them. Then bolts on to the rails

I fill it most days and it never bulges out. I fitted to rails of angle iron to the bed sides first. They are permanent on the truck and then the body slides on between them. Then bolts on to the rails

Any chance of a shot of how you have it attaching sir?

I noticed you have rails across the top that look removable? Does that help stop it spreading with a full load on

• 2 weeks later...
Any chance of a shot of how you have it attaching sir?

I noticed you have rails across the top that look removable? Does that help stop it spreading with a full load on

Yes it has a half roof, it is removable but I never take it off.

The picture shows the two rails that are permanently bolted on the truck. Then the body slides down between these and is bolted to them.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1448394457.361519.jpg.cc978b64bfd8ab975b85ce0e132b646c.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'll try them. The current sides are made of fibreglass coated plywood. So far I reckon ali planking will be about half the price of coated!

Anyway I've budge the side back together, hopefully with a bit of fine tuning you wont be and to see the break. I'll retrieve the whole box in the summer.