130 spec

David Humphries

FWIW I ran a brand new 110 double cab for 3 years. Carried all the kit we needed in the back for 3 men.

A brand new 130

tipper will be stupidly expensive. When I worked forthw council we ran the exclusivley an very few problems.

Best bet is to get one on trial or hire one in from SHB and see how you get on.

Casper went in my 110 double cab a few time I think.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for a winch look at the line speed, if you don't mind waiting around for a few hours get a ramsey hydraulic winch but for a fast line speed go for the warn 8274 which is what the winch comp lads use. i agree with peter if its a brand new one you're getting :drool::drool:

David, i would say that if you had a quad tech box for your kit on the back then the 130 would be a very good tool. Off road they are unrivalled, for towing they are unrivalled- and they will tow 3500kg with ease, and a lot more than that illegally. No other 4x4 can tow more than 2.2 ton (i think!!) as the others arent permanent 4x4. If you are towing a trailer then dont bother to get the back converted to a tipper, just use it as a tool box.

Winch-wise i think the choices are fairly simple. For most things the warn that Penfold mentioned is perfect- very well built, quick and powerful. If you are pulling large lumps of timber around on the floor then dont even entertain an electric winch as you will burn it out (solenoids) repeatedly, if its for self recovery or felling then perfect. For heavy duty use stick either a hydraulic winch of for long heavy pulls get a pto winch such as the Superwinch H14w PTO driven thing. They will never overheat and you have 5 speed to use which makes them very versatile, and all the grunt of the engine behind them.

I have to disagree somewhat with Ed on the comfort thing- i find my defender perfect for me, but you are a pretty big guy so may find it cramped, it is personal opininon to a certain degree.

They are fairly noisy, and yes, they do leak water around the doors a bit though, but i am told that the newer ones arent too bad compared to the sort of thing i have got(1995 model).

If the council is paying, just get the land rover brochure and go for your life!!

like tom says just get hold of the Special Vehicles extras list and go for it.:thumbup: and apparently there is a bit more legroom in the newer defenders for some obscure engineering reason but to get a bit more adjustment on the drivers seat try mud rails which are an after-market fit and can be done in an afternoon according to the manufacturers

Edited by penfold

i have been in the back seats of a crewcab landy and it was tiny, up front the 2 passengers are either sitting on each others knees or getting their legs felt in the gear changes. they are work horses, that is for sure dave. but after a day on the surge either sweaty or soaking i wouldnt want to bundle into one. if you could get a landy tipper like tommers with an ifor tipper for chip and a nice box van for kit and tools. even my t5 is great for kit and carrying guys. the big back door is the business for sheltering under or getting changed. i know i have just suggested 2 vehicles but at least one was a landy