Wages fair pay

padg

Given the recent ruling for care workers travel time and the pending EU decision on mobile working, the arb industry may well get some clarification on this. See Mobile workers' first and last journeys count as working time | Personnel Today

Will this change many peoples arrangements? Good or bad?

If you travel directly to the site then these hours will count. If you travel to the company yard then head out then they won't. I presume most people start and finish at the yard in arb?

In reference to the OP it is really down to you to decide what your time is worth. The PPE, climbing kit etc will actually be a small percentage when you look at it over 18 months/life of kit.

I'd have though if you are a ground in the SE you would be looking at £8-8.50 an hour. For an experience lead climber £14-18 per hour. I know a lot of places work on day rates but for me a working day is 9 hours with a reasonable allowance for breaks. 10 hour days on a regular basis should be compensated.

Edited by richy_B

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you travel to company yard then head out your working hours are from when you turn up at the yard to when you leave the yard same as a 9 to 5 so hours you spend sitting in the truck ARE part of your working hours as an employee!!

Do you subtract time spent traveling between jobs from your employers wages?? Not fair or legal!

£120 minimum if your climbing. you could take slightly less on paye but don't accept anything under 24k a year

Slightly less? I think there's a fair pay difference between a bone fide sub-contractor climber and a full time employee. The subbie don't get holiday pay, probably don't get five days work a week, PPE and pays for his own gear then lolers it.

The op is been taken advantage of in supplying his own PPE and kit, but that's a different issue.

Slightly less? I think there's a fair pay difference between a bone fide sub-contractor climber and a full time employee. The subbie don't get holiday pay, probably don't get five days work a week, PPE and pays for his own gear then lolers it.

The op is been taken advantage of in supplying his own PPE and kit, but that's a different issue.

This is the whole problem, these young lads and old to be fair, do not grasp the real difference between being self employed and employed. Easy to forget the weeks they spend not working over the year when faced with £10+ day rate difference. But when worked out accurately the employee is nearly always better off.

There is no "technically" about it, anyone "cards in" is entitled to any PPE that's required.

There is no card to be played only a legal duty to be followed.

Any employer could simply claim a rate of pay reflected an enhanced rate, how would an employee prove otherwise, your rate of pay has nothing to do with the provision of PPE.

The post I quoted said the employer has to provide PPE which isnt correct. The employer has a duty to ensure that PPE is available and if the employer and employee agree its ok for the employee to provide it and get reimbursed by way of a higher rate, thats the employer discharging his duty of care.

If the OP decides to change the current arrangement by asking the employer to now provide PPE ie playing a different "card", then he can expect a lower rate. Thats the OPs card to play if he wants.

Aspirational perhaps, but not in reality which is closer to:

http://m.westbriton.co.uk/time-wages-Cornwall-25-average-UK/story-11462320-detail/story.html

You'd have to be 200/day to be doing 1000/week. The many "pay" threads on here don't seem to suggest it's realistic for PAYE staff?

I'm not disagreeing about the need for that level Eggs, just can't see that it's actually available??