Anyone else dabble in stocks and shares?

daveindales

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty certain this is still the case. If you let a futures contract expire you'll be asked where you want the stuff delivered.

No, you can trade in either the physical commodity (in which case it would be expected to be delivered) but also paper products - so for example, paper oil.

This means that you are effectively guaranteeing the future sale or purchase price of oil, without needing to actually buy the oil.

You guys that buy lots of diesel could trade that way... say you look at future diesel prices now and you are quoting for a big job. The job price needs to be fixed, but you don't want to get stung by pricing the job now then seeing crude oil prices go up. One way to hedge the risk would be to buy a future paper crude oil contract. When it then comes to next year (or whenever the job and the oil contract are timed for) you then have to settle the difference between the forward contract price and the spot market price at the time. So you either pay out on the oil contract if oil prices have fallen (but will have made more on the job using the diesel) or vice versa. However you don't have to physically buy the crude oil itself.

The reason I'm getting involved is because my boys compensation will be invested and I wanted to have some understanding of how it works and pick up the lingo.

I've a cousin that is a future trader and two friends that are making a good return off the market all though the one has lost thousands on go pro shares.

if you are talking about a 6 figure sum I would go to an Independent Financial Adviser.

I've been investing for the last 25 years. tbh, your two friends sound like they tell you about their successful investments and not about their poor ones.... someone sitting in their spare bedroom "daytrading" is almost certainly a mug....

I would advise anyone starting to invest in shares to invest in a couple of Investment Trusts (they are companies that invest in other companies).

if you are talking about a 6 figure sum I would go to an Independent Financial Adviser.

I've been investing for the last 25 years. tbh, your two friends sound like they tell you about their successful investments and not about their poor ones.... someone sitting in their spare bedroom "daytrading" is almost certainly a mug....

I would advise anyone starting to invest in shares to invest in a couple of Investment Trusts (they are companies that invest in other companies).

Your assumptions make me laugh one of the guys in question sold his business in london to move to the country a self made man retired at 38.

90% of day traders lose money, say you out of ten trades 5 make money and 5 lose money by the time you take your time into consideration and pay your broker and the 0.25% tax on buying shares you will have lost money. There is no point in going in with chicken feed money as its not worth your time watching it constantly either. Don't get excited by profit and don't get down over losses, and capital preservation is paramount in the long run,

Should of been insured through the court of protection against such loss

What she should of done is opened a small business to learn the ropes, and if she had a knack for it looked at getting into something bigger...

The last thing she should of done is put money into a sink hole in the city of London...

What she should of done is opened a small business to learn the ropes, and if she had a knack for it looked at getting into something bigger...

The last thing she should of done is put money into a sink hole in the city of London...

I'm not debating what she should if done with the money I'm simply stating that any compensation money paid through the court of protection as most cases are thesa days then any moneys would of been insured against loss.

I'm not debating what she should if done with the money I'm simply stating that any compensation money paid through the court of protection as most cases are thesa days then any moneys would of been insured against loss.

I'm not with you, are you saying if this woman burned her money on a fire, she could claim it all back?....