How far would you travel for a job?

Johnpl315

Hi guys,

I am wondering what distance most people are prepared to travel for a job/work? I have always tried to draw the line at an hour(each way), but when you as this up over the course of the year it's still a huge chunk of time. Add to this the fact that as a hand cutter/groundsman I don't get paid a great deal and the cost of fuel to drive I am thinking an hour each way is to much.

Interesting to hear other peoples thoughts?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

I am wondering what distance most people are prepared to travel for a job/work? I have always tried to draw the line at an hour(each way), but when you as this up over the course of the year it's still a huge chunk of time. Add to this the fact that as a hand cutter/groundsman I don't get paid a great deal and the cost of fuel to drive I am thinking an hour each way is to much.

Interesting to hear other peoples thoughts?

Hi mate I no members go 100 miles easy each way so down to the money is in it and whether you have a good enough truck to do it thanks John

All depends how much you getting paid, my good chum!

I'm fortunate enough to be employed, but as a foreman, the boss shares with us about his costs, and a vast majority of the time we travel well over an hour to get to the various cities where we work for the city councils, so we have to try and figure out what we have to get done in the day\week to cover fuel expenses and such.

Then again, I have to go to Cologne in 2 weeks, which is almost 4 hours drive, so we stay over for the week.

Figure out your approximate earnings, your fuel costs, and time costs (for family, yourself,etc) and then you should be getting somewhere. How much are you willing to sacrifice? I generally try to make sure the travel costs are no more than around 20%.... But on the other hand, depends how desperate you are for work, and sometimes, you just get cr4p jobs where you earn nuffin....