Cancellation fee?

Mark Bolam

How do you fellas go about paying subby's / contract climbers if the weather turns bad?

Forecast s***e tomorrow, lombardy takedown with 40mph gusts didn't seem great so me and contract climber agreed to cancel tonight (thanks buddy- p***ing down now!).

We have postponed it no problemo, and I have already told the main man what I would have paid him to sit and talk about John Shutler's hair all (1/2) day if he had driven down and we could do nowt.

Just wondered how views differ regionally.

I've always wondered about this, when I subbed out. Some would pay me to stay and do some maintenance for them. But if the forecast is bad fr the day, and the decision to cancel is made the day before, then no pay is to be expected. In a way this is a risk of being self-employed, and the usual day rate should be enough to cover lost days to a certain extent. If you're only paying a minimum day rate, then it will make it hard for the subbie to lose days. I think it also depends on the subbie, if he is regular, reliable and puts himself out for you, then pehaps some mutual respect may be due, ie a gesture of goodwill of a % of his day rate. After all, as the main company you need to nurture and encourage good workers to stay with you.

• Like 1

If I've booked someone in for the day I pay them, they've not been able to get work elsewhere because there working for me. However most people will say that they don't want the full amount which I think is very fair of them. I always price things like that into jobs now having been stung in the past.

R

the guys that work for me are self employed and if the weather is that bad we cant work then i will find something for them all to do whether it be logs or saw cleaning and general yard work there is a;lways something for them to do , i have been a contract climber and know how tough it can be when you have 3 bad days in a week and earn nothing at all so i try to make sure there is something we can all do !

It really depends on how good awork relationship you want & how much you need them

if they arent prepared to work then thats simple if however its your call then at least a retainer , if you feel that they are worth it dependant on your business profile I would say its worth looking at the long game

Oh & the weather report before you book them in

I would only pay people for the hours that they work... It would be lovely to do otherwise but I can't afford otherwise.

Usually there is logging or other stuff to do anyway. No one can help the weather.... After all a climber is not going to be able to climb for anyone else that day either.... Most sub contract guys seem to have a few strings to their bow anyway in case of cancellation due to weather....

:ohmy:

there is probably a law about this somewhere, but it all depends on the working relationship and sort it out beforehand. i have paid guys full days wages and sent them home at 11 am because the job has done, given them vehicles and kit to borrow, thinking if i sort them out they will look after me. but they through it back in my face, i would sort it out first. stick it in writing and shake hands on it.