Stump planers for Mini digger

Matthew Storrs

Digging the stump out is all well and good- but then theres the mess, stump to get rid of, and often when you are asked to take a stump out it has been cut to ground level so very little purchase/leverage to be had when digging it out.

I thought the stump planer looks like a really simple/low cost solution to stump removal particularly if you have the digger and auger anyway...

Will phone them for a price tomorrow i think.

Digging the stump out is all well and good- but then theres the mess, stump to get rid of, and often when you are asked to take a stump out it has been cut to ground level so very little purchase/leverage to be had when digging it out.

I thought the stump planer looks like a really simple/low cost solution to stump removal particularly if you have the digger and auger anyway...

Will phone them for a price tomorrow i think.

Presumably it needs the downward force of the digger so no good with a 3 point linkage auger?

I wonder more about the flow rate than down force. They have a small 'corkscrew' at the tip that helps pull the plane in. It is definitely the torque that will be the issue.

On the 4cx it seemed effortless but obviously it's got quite a bit more grunt.

Yes, obviously the more down pressure and flow the better, but a three ton digger has no problem turning a 12 inch plus dia auger into shillet ground conditions 4ft deep- as an experiment the other day i tried boring a 12 inch hole through a concrete shed base- i got 3 inches deep before i got bored- but it was doing it. So i reckon it would have no trouble turning a similar sized stump planer through any kind of stump- particularly if the blades are kept sharp?? As you say the cork screw would keep it pulling down as long as you kept a bit of down pressure on too.

• 4 years later...