old school

stihlmadasever

lol

i'll keep messing on with it for a bit before i give up!

It's a hard thing to pick up on your own mate.

Half a day with a good climber can open your eyes.

I was lucky enough to work with a few gun climbers like Rich Rule, Gumpy and Ross Smith.

If it wasn't for them I'd probably have just kept buying bigger and bigger ladders.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've enjoyed reading this thread. I agree that it's important that new climbers like myself are aware of these easier climbing systems.

I've been climbing for almost a year now and like many others I was taught on prussik and feel safest using it. I've always been pretty active and found body thrusting relatively simple at first but now I'm beginning to feel pain in both elbows and arms. It's frustrating because I love the job and want to be a good climber.

However since watching and working with Garry (Breffni on here) and seeing the benefits of HC/SRT/Ascenders I have bought and am beginning to use a hitchclimber setup and a foot ascender.

I also struggle to find the time to dabble with new systems. I hate being watched while I dangle on a rope figuring out how something works and whenever I panic or I have to do something out of my comfort zone (which is most of the time at the moment) I always switch back to prussik almost as a psychological safety thing.

However I am determined to keep trying easier climbing systems because I want to learn the easiest way of climbing before I ruin my joints so that I can keep climbing in the future

Mark i went past a sign for Bolam the other day - ancestral home or unclaimed castle?

Was that on the A696 north of Ponteland mate?

It's mine, all mine....

Unfortunately nothing to do with our branch, certainly not in recent centuries.

Lovely place mind.

The lake is worth a look.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. I agree that it's important that new climbers like myself are aware of these easier climbing systems.

I've been climbing for almost a year now and like many others I was taught on prussik and feel safest using it. I've always been pretty active and found body thrusting relatively simple at first but now I'm beginning to feel pain in both elbows and arms. It's frustrating because I love the job and want to be a good climber.

However since watching and working with Garry (Breffni on here) and seeing the benefits of HC/SRT/Ascenders I have bought and am beginning to use a hitchclimber setup and a foot ascender.

I also struggle to find the time to dabble with new systems. I hate being watched while I dangle on a rope figuring out how something works and whenever I panic or I have to do something out of my comfort zone (which is most of the time at the moment) I always switch back to prussik almost as a psychological safety thing.

However I am determined to keep trying easier climbing systems because I want to learn the easiest way of climbing before I ruin my joints so that I can keep climbing in the future

You say find time to dabble with a new system .....5 mins with the Zig Zag and you will be running up and down that tree like a Squirrel. !!!

Seriously.

Ste

Was that on the A696 north of Ponteland mate?

It's mine, all mine....

Unfortunately nothing to do with our branch, certainly not in recent centuries.

Lovely place mind.

The lake is worth a look.

yeah just of the military road, not far from matfen. give me a shout when you come to retake you kingdom, i'll arm some rebellious peasants in advance