Good software for doing invoices

Woodworks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can manage the basics of an access db but the firm I do work for won't consider it, sticking to spreadsheets. I made one to track competences and expiry dates on 150 personnel and it worked okay but I was pants at building queries and reports so once they failed to get on board I didn't have the enthusiasm to pursue it. I would have liked to do more with it, like logging kit and consumables issued to get better cost attribution for larger projects.

I do have to run it in a VM as I don't have a windows desktop.

OK,

Thats a great shame they cant see the light, it would simplify so many things and be very easy to back up etc. I can't imagine using Excel for invoicing in this day & age.

They will probably get backed into a corner one day & a highly paid consultant will come along & inform them the blindingly obvious!

The best way to run Windows is in a VM, I have several versions of it for testing, the beauty of it (as you probably know) you can recover in about a minute to your last snapshot - I also keep my win data outside the VM & access it from within and let Time Machine back it up whenever it changes.

N

This is why it is better done in a database rather than excel.

I have not used a mac but I do have to use XP at work and what you want can be done in excel. Basically you need to create an invoice template with a VBA macro. It loads as a template which you enter all the normal details in. You then save the output as a standard excel XLSX in read only form. If you need to edit it you have to override the read only attribute when you open it.

You can have the template also store salient bits of the invoice like:

Invoice number, Date,customer,amount,VAT, Total

as a record in another excel file .

In W98 the file was invdb.xls and the template was supplied.

As I only write 3 or 4 invoices a year as work dries up I do it manually nowadays.

Thanks for trying to help but you lost me. I was not joking when I said I was a numpty with this sort of thing.

Had a lot of recomends for Quickbooks from various sources so will probably give it a go.

Thanks all :thumbup1:

How did you manage to struggle with invoice 2 go

it got extremely slow and unresponsive after nearly a year of invoices , i rang them and all they told me ws the volume of invoices i was doing was slowing it down. Thats after i paid for the Interprise package with unlimited invoices ..and as the months went on the worse it got ..