Pricing big Elm

Highland Forestry

Went to look at a job thisafternoon to take down a big Elm.

The spec for the job is to completley dismantle the old girl and leave the timber on-site for the estate boys to tidy away, and all the brash to be chipped and left on-site also.

I'm told the tree is about 200 years old, but you guys might have a different opinion.

The main stem is approximatley 8.5ft x 8.5ft and she is approximatley 90ft tall.

The tree is dying back and has several bracing cables in the crown which look to have been included in the stems, so it must have been braced several years back.

Not sure if it is suffering with D.E.D or if age has got the better of her.

I'm struggling to put a price on the job and decide how long it will take us...

Any thoughts most welcome.

Also, will it be worth cutting the burrs off throughout the job to sell for turning, or a waste of time?

If we get the job I'm thinking of buying a helmet cam to record the job..

ELM1.jpg.35484389faefec2f18e3df651073f9cb.jpg

ELM2.jpg.f8b756586b1a0812641bcf8fa6fd2a9a.jpg

ELM3.jpg.39bdd434356f6048d572b1d686d1aad9.jpg

ELM4.jpg.6701feb24b669d82e2cf2b0675de76a1.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By staying on site, Do you mean just stacked where it is? Or would you have to move it to another part of the same site?

If its all staying where it is, I reckon 2 days MAX and thats lowering being careful of the lawn

Nice big old elm by the way, Looks like e cracking job to do mate

it all depends on what kit you have to throw at the job i guess mate i would say for me it would be 2 day to take down , stack the timber chip nd tidy up for 3 men . but then i only have a 7.5 inch chipper and no way of removing timber in large sections to be stacked . alos i feel that even tho the gardeners are going to clear up i still would like to clean up as bet i can .

It will be me climbing, and some of it will be lowered to avoid damage to the private road underneath...

Doubt I'll get the whole lot decked in one day though... I'll be well up for trying!

Looks like it will be a great tree to climb... the pictures don't do it justice really..... it's a monster.

It will be me climbing, and some of it will be lowered to avoid damage to the private road underneath...

Doubt I'll get the whole lot decked in one day though... I'll be well up for trying!

Looks like it will be a great tree to climb... the pictures don't do it justice really..... it's a monster.

Pictures never do a tree justice, if your having to rig it will slow you down some, i'd put 2 days on it minimum, as it does look a bit of a beast.

hmm - what kit are you chucking at that??

Even with a cabstar and 6 inch chipper and 3 man team 2 days minimum price round here would be £1500 not including vat. Thats a lot of tree to deal with.