Yew tree in Birmingham. Any offers?

justo7

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thinking milling the 'old farts' may be a bit harsh, just cos they don't want to pay a lot:biggrin:

I reckon you would only have to mill one, just to set an example. Word would soon get around and they would probably come waving wads of cash after that to make sure they didn't get the same treatment :001_smile:

Alec

if cash is king then you can make more from milled boards as 1m3 of firewood will sell at £100-£120 but a cubic metre of timber at an average of £35ft3 will sell at £1200+.

even if you spend a few hundred getting it milled you'll be quids in.

i would happily take a mill to an old fart if it would make tree surgeons realise that not all of us are like the old fart...

Edited by se7enthdevil

It is true you might make more from logging it but there is more work involved with it. You have to cut it, split it, store it for a year, market and deliver it. So for instance you may get £200 for firewood or £100 from someone with a mill, but because there's less work in selling it as a but you get better value.

I am not saying this is always the case but sometimes it is.

If someone wants to buy it to mill then cool but round here they want it for nowt. I'm logging up all the time so it just goes on the pile and gets done when it gets done. No probs. I've had it before with a carver, wanted a lump of sycamore I had but didn't wanna pay for it, but he would carve it and asks for a load of money for it. Go figure??

Starting to wish I didn't start this thread...........it's like I've taken a sling shot to a gun fight

Ha ha! Not at all mate!:001_smile: It's interesting to me to see what people in Internet land think timber is worth compared to people actually willing to pay it!