Gloves, a boi hazard ??

Dean Lofthouse

Recently I've had a couple of hawthorn pricks turn a little nasty and swell up quite bad, the latest is on my forefinger, started off with a tiny pin prick and after three days it was almost ulcerated.

Treated it with anti bacterial cream and it's immediately started healing, I also had a scratch on my left nostril which I wipe with the back of my glove, it too got infected quite badly.

Today I wore some gloves and they absolutely stunk, they need throwing.

Many of you will know that the smell is bacteria growing in the material feeding on sweat etc. You'll know from helmet headbands they can get smelly very quickly.

This got me thinking, has the bacterial infection come not from the hawthorn but from the gloves ??

I actually wiped the scratch on my nostril with the back of the smelly glove. I reckon it is from the glove, it's a perfect transfer envioroment, hot sweaty wet gloves over an open wound.

Something to think about and one of the things on my shopping list is a loads of gloves to be changed a lot more regularly.

004.jpg.8d7f8b86ddc1a933af3086e9777297ee.jpg

028.jpg.5609bcbc806f4cd884894457427f9495.jpg

Could well be right Dean, stop using the oil of ulay on a night and ya skin might harden up a bit and stop looking like a babys arse.:lol:

i get the builder ones with the rubber palm bit from the local machinery auctions, £10 for a dozen pairs and change em on a regular basis.

my father in law is a silversmith and agreed that he would make my wedding ring, one day he said he would pop round and measure my finger for the rite size.that day i was clearing some hawthorne from a customers garden and forgot my gloves.

that night he came round and as u can imagine i didnt realize my hand had swelled up a bit. he measured the finger and of he went.

the wedding day came and wot a suprise the ring didnt fit, he wasnt impressed. the rest of the family thort it was quite funny......except for him, he had to redo the whole ring again......lol nevermind

It seems like some people are more vulnerable to infection than others. I get jabbed, either through gloves or not, dozens of times a year; probably one every few years, i'll get swelling, and every now and again, the swelling will be bad enough to cause a joint to stiffen up or lock.

Could well be right Dean, stop using the oil of ulay on a night and ya skin might harden up a bit and stop looking like a babys arse.:lol:

i get the builder ones with the rubber palm bit from the local machinery auctions, £10 for a dozen pairs and change em on a regular basis.

Haha, good one Ian.:lol:

Those 'builders grip gloves' are ace arent they. You can wash them too, but only a couple of times, and the only downside is when they get old they start to get a tiny bit slippy in the wet.

It seems like some people are more vulnerable to infection than others. I get jabbed, either through gloves or not, dozens of times a year; probably one every few years, i'll get swelling, and every now and again, the swelling will be bad enough to cause a joint to stiffen up or lock.

I tend to wear gloves only when actually using a saw - if dragging brash,hand balling timber,using hand tools or any other activity, i don't use them - with one exception.As a result, my hands are a bit like shoe leather after years of manual labour.Bramble,nettle,and other nasties rarely bother me and extracting the odd prickle of an evening helps me while away the long winter nights:blushing:

However, the one glaring exception to this rule is Blackthorn! The slightest bit (and i mean slightest) that i neglect to extricate results in an enormous swelling (fnarr fnarr) of the affected area.Any task at all involving this plant entails donning welding gauntlets or similar. Swelling is always infected and quite painful. Bleddy stuff! On the plus side though, properly laid and trimmed it makes the best anti-intruder barrier i know of - far better than Heras panels:001_smile:

"You have woman's hand milord" [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Ocg6ZYh9k]YouTube - Blackadder - Mad Captain Rum discusses Blackadder's... attributes[/ame]

:tongue_smilie:

Probably are right with the gloves being a biohazard though.

Remember seeing some guy on dragons den who invented something that you put smelly shoes and stuff into which then got zapped and killed all the bacteria therefore making them unsmelly again :001_smile:

Think they fecked him off and have never seen it again!