Cheap stove fans - false economy?

sandspider

hey ho i went for it bought the one in your first post and i must say it makes the whole house warmer as it circulates the heat better rather than my front room becoming unbearable to sit in but it is

only had it 2 months and it has been mild but tonight it is frozen outside and still its great all around the house we shall see if it lasts will update in march

Hi mate what make did you buy in the end and what size of one thanks John

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've just ordered a valiant stove top fan. Was thinking about a heat transfer system to run the heat at the ceiling through to the bedrooms. I still might but for short term, getting a fan to see if I can push the heat around the room rather than having it hang around above my head seems like a good option. Will let you know how it goes.

I put a duct and fan system in our lounge about ten years ago at ceiling height. In these sort of temps of 6 deg outside our 5 kw wood burner near on heats our 3 bed bungalow.

Originally it was two bathroom fans from screw fix with two separate 4 in ducts. But upgraded to a couple of better quality fan units from tool shack and some insulated ducting to stop the air cooling as it passes through the loft.

One thing that I should mention which I never considered at the time.If the room is well sealed and you don't have the right air brick there is a good chance that you will suck the fumes back down the chimney. when the fire and fans are on you may gas your selves don't rely on a door or window being open

I got mine from Amazon for just under £40. It's an amazing bit of kit I would recommend anyone with a stove to get one. I aim the fan towards the living room door so it ends up heating the upstairs and kitchen

Hi CJM FANS are great as they move air around ours is 175SQ)MT of air large one thanks Jon

I put a duct and fan system in our lounge about ten years ago at ceiling height. In these sort of temps of 6 deg outside our 5 kw wood burner near on heats our 3 bed bungalow.

Originally it was two bathroom fans from screw fix with two separate 4 in ducts. But upgraded to a couple of better quality fan units from tool shack and some insulated ducting to stop the air cooling as it passes through the loft.

One thing that I should mention which I never considered at the time.If the room is well sealed and you don't have the right air brick there is a good chance that you will suck the fumes back down the chimney. when the fire and fans are on you may gas your selves don't rely on a door or window being open

Our house is definitely not well sealed but thanks for the info. I had wondered. We'll probably look at getting our local builder to set it all up for us so we know it's done right.

Have to say also; you do notice a difference with the stove fan. It's not grunty enough to push heat down the the bedroom but when you walk into the kitchen in the morning you can feel the warmth all around the place whereas, before we had the fan it would be warm just around the fire. It is noisy though has a high pitched wine which can be annoying.