7.5 ton or 10 ton?

simonm

There is no denying there are a few more hoops to jump through if you want to run a decent truck. The upside of making the move is the huge difference in profitability, chucking trees on the floor is the easy bit but clearing them up and getting finished is where money is won or lost. Some mechanical handling and a truck with a decent load carrying capacity is a no brainer, when you consider the cost of the rest of the kit like saws, chippers and stump grinders the cost of a truck,license and maintenance pale into insignificance. A lot of the running costs can also be offset with the sale of timber no matter what it is if you can keep it in 3mtr lengths, again selling something that would otherwise cost you to dispose of. Another example of this is our local chip dump, one standard charge of £20 a load to tip no matter what vehicle so every time I tip our bin up I am £400/500 better off than the boys with the transits :) I reckon between ten and twenty ton would be the best size for a towny arb truck.

fodentipper002_zps5afa4a9f.jpg

Our lads took down 7 big old firs 30 miles away, one trip in the truck and its all cleared up :thumbup1:

image.jpg1_zpshy8lbxce.jpg

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got an 18 tonner and there is very few places I can't get into. I would very carefully about the truck as a system and be less worried about gvw. Buy don't go small, and I can't recommend getting a hiab enough, probably has more impact on my business than the carrying capacity of the lorry - although God knows what I'd do with all the big lumps of wood without a lorry...

If i am towing, which i will be i am limited to 12 tonne GTW as i have C1+E, so although this crane talk sounds a good idea i think realistically it will just kill my payload. Their is very few jobs we do where i could crane big lumps out in 1 anyway, most have to be cut up and hand balled anyway.

If i am towing, which i will be i am limited to 12 tonne GTW as i have C1+E, so although this crane talk sounds a good idea i think realistically it will just kill my payload. Their is very few jobs we do where i could crane big lumps out in 1 anyway, most have to be cut up and hand balled anyway.

What test do you have to do to get rid of the 107 code?

You can't tow any trailer with anything bigger than a 7.5 tonner with your license.

If you want to tow with a ten or 12 tonner you need c+e

You can't tow any trailer with anything bigger than a 7.5 tonner with your license.

If you want to tow with a ten or 12 tonner you need c+e

so its 7.5t towing vehicle with a trailer up to 4.5t gtw not exceeding 12 tonne.

I paid for my class 2 on my own back but the council put me through c1+e wish id of done the c+e instead!

Its still 4 tonne up on my 3.5 tonne tranny :thumbup1: