7.5 ton or 10 ton?

simonm

If you have a pre 97 licence and gained C1E via grandfather rites you will have 107. The 107 means you are restricted to a train weight of 8250.

Ah not sure, i am 32 so didn't acquire grand father rights, did a test for a 32 tonne rigid then firm paid for 12 tonne towing vehicle & trailer

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Search for 'what GVW Arb truck' this has all been discussed before plenty of discussion about pros and cons of different sizes and picture of peters lorry and mine among others. You're C1+E is only 7.5t and trailer. Anything over 7.5t with a trailer of 750kg is C+E.

You'd be surprised where you can get an 18 ton with a chipper in tow, the minimal front overhang and excellent lock go some way to making up for the slightly larger size.

We use an 18t iveco with hiab with toothed bucket pulling a 3.5t trailer with Stumpgrinder on back. We predominately do street trees. This allows me to grab all the timber and a risings from felling and grinding the tree. We couldn't possibly be productive without this set up.

It's so much easier. No ringing up of timber and no shovelling of the arisings. No brainer in my opinion

The big question on this subject is not licensing or truck sizes but, where is the bottleneck in daily production. For me, this is what prevented me from upsizing to a big chipper and lorry.

It all starts with the climber. If the climber is good or 2 climbers can be up, the rubbish then needs to move away from the tree faster.

Can this be done with mini loaders/skid steer?

If no, this is the bottleneck and there is no point in a big chipper/lorry.

In my case, most work is in back gardens with small gates, steps etc so mechanised waste removal can't be done. An Arb Trolley is the fastest method.

If we did front gardens or street trees I'd buy a 12" chipper and lorry with Hiab instantly.

The bottleneck then becomes getting to the tip site but a large enough lorry means only tipping at the end of the day therefore no time is lost nor money wasted.

I would dearly love larger capacity gear, (especially as a large lorry is so cheap to run compared with crappy 3.5t tippers) but we just can't move the rubbish fast enough to justify it.

The big question on this subject is not licensing or truck sizes but, where is the bottleneck in daily production. For me, this is what prevented me from upsizing to a big chipper and lorry.

It all starts with the climber. If the climber is good or 2 climbers can be up, the rubbish then needs to move away from the tree faster.

Can this be done with mini loaders/skid steer?

If no, this is the bottleneck and there is no point in a big chipper/lorry.

In my case, most work is in back gardens with small gates, steps etc so mechanised waste removal can't be done. An Arb Trolley is the fastest method.

If we did front gardens or street trees I'd buy a 12" chipper and lorry with Hiab instantly.

The bottleneck then becomes getting to the tip site but a large enough lorry means only tipping at the end of the day therefore no time is lost nor money wasted.

I would dearly love larger capacity gear, (especially as a large lorry is so cheap to run compared with crappy 3.5t tippers) but we just can't move the rubbish fast enough to justify it.

That's a good point, however the 3.5t will need emptying 3-4 times day maybe more if you're cracking on. Unless you have many many tip sites so one is always close that's one team member driving most of the day.

Even our little ten ton beavertail comes in useful on small jobs . no bigger than a 7.5 ton truck but with a 5250kg payload + 8 tons of trailer . Really handy for picking up the odd sticks and moving single bits of kit about.

image.jpg4_zps85xchlbf.jpg

58740380-efcf-4da5-84a9-b414b11e35b0_zps0i7j1x2s.jpg