Diesel tuning chips....mmmm.

adbat234

Hi all,

A proper remap is a much better bet although more expensive. These tuning boxes work by fooling the ECU into simple over-fuelling right across the rev range, whereas a remap is a much more involved process that alters loads of parameters to give a wider range of benefits.

Martyn on the Transit forum - who has been linked to in this post, has received nothing but praise for his work - he will sometimes will spend hours making sure everything is set up right. He will also use different maps and so on depending on what sort of changes you're looking for in your motor. Also - if you are not happy with the results he will return your vehicle to standard and give you a refund. He also offers postal remaps for some vehicles if you can manage without them for a few days.

Well worth checking him out IMO.

Cheers,

Andy

Chipping is something that needs to be done correctly,

Each remap of a car engine is completely different to another, the whole engine should be assessed things like mileage and usage taken into account then put onto a rolling road to see what the engine is actually putting out, without doing this who knows what extra strain and wear you could be putting on your motor by just plugging something in,

I have chipped my audi thats gone from a 130 bhp to 170 and after 50 000 miles it has to be reduced to 155,

Its worth really researching before getting into it,,

Peace

We had one from a company called Diesel Bob on the Iveco Daily 35C12 Flatbed. You could turn it up and down as you wished. Turned up empty it was lary. But with the low loader trailer and 3 chippers (approx 7 tonnes gross) it would come back from germany at 70mph. Turn it down or put the dummy plug in that returned the settings to normal (used to plug this in for mot) and you were lucky to get to 50mph. Covered thousands of miles in it and it never missed a beat. It also increased the mpg but only if you drove sensibly.

• Like 1

On deisel engines blank off the EGR like marc said earlier and either get a peice of pipe made up to replace the cat or smash the innards out.

Thats sounds proper cowboy i like it:laugh1: I may think about taking out the EGR if it'll still pass emissions i've heard it will.

• Like 1

Thats sounds proper cowboy i like it:laugh1: I may think about taking out the EGR if it'll still pass emissions i've heard it will.

My old Landcruiser failed it's emissions by quite a lot, I left the car with the garage they never warm an engine up enough, they dont have time.

I told them I would bring it back in 20 minutes, went for a gentle run down the motorway and back to the station where it passed WELL below the requirements and I did nothing more than warm it through properly.

My landrover has had the cat removed and the whole EGR circuit removed completely, I do exactly the same, take it for a half hour gentle run to warm it through and leave it ticking over whilst waiting, it passes with flying colours every time

Removing the EGR system shouldn't make any difference to the MOT at all. The EGR valve only does anything at relatively low engine speeds, and the MOT smoke test is carried out at max (governed) RPM, at which speed the EGR valve will be shut.

I took the system off my TD5 some time ago and wished I had done it earlier. On the Landrover TD5 it is definitely worth completely removing the valve assembly from the inlet tract using a purpose made bypass pipe since the valve body constricts the airflow. Many suitable kits are available, mine came from Devon 4x4 in I would recommend it highly.

• 12 years later...