261 replacement?

Hotrod81

All saws have pros and cons

The 261 is universally hated by everyone who has ever used it

Possibly a slight overstatement ?

Desperate Stihl fans often claim that they love them - on some other chainsaw forums......:lol:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Desperate Stihl fans often claim that they love them - on some other chainsaw forums......:lol:

Actually I have Stihl (260 +261), Husqvarna (372) and Dolmar (420) all excellent saws in their own right. I have tried the 550xp and didn't particularly like it, it doesn't feel any lighter in the hand than the 261 ( the slightly more streamlined form of the 550 give the impression that it should actually weigh less than it does).

What does or doesn't feel right about a saw is always down to the individual and any recommendations should only be taken as a guidance until you've tried the saw yourself.

I (probably like most others on this site) just use my saws ,I don't worry about them weighing a few ounce more or less than another brand.:001_smile:

300 grams in it, less than a tin of beans!

That's 11 ounces, which puts the weight of the 261 closer to a 560 than a 550. Such a thing is certainly noticeable in the 50cc class.

Having said that, the 550 is not as robust a build(well, after the teething problems of the 261 were weeded out...). But, it must be said, handles far better.

The 261 cm's I have ran were very strong and responsive saws. They also have the largest gain I have ever seen in a saw with a modified muffler so long as the baffle is removed(30% + improvement in cut time).

It most certainly is not universally hated, from what I have seen from the owners. In fact, I have heard of plenty of teething problems with the 550xp as well.

I do like the 261 but I guess what I'm asking is should I replace it once the warranty is out or should I continue with it and hope it doesn't break and cost a fortune. Or do I send it to Spud to make it crazy?

You obviously like this saw Rod , has it been good to you over the last few months if you got confidence in the saw hanging together then as WYK says you can get some gains with a few mods send it too spud have yourself a hot saw great fun WYK done a great job when he opened up my 420 and it's great to have a little rocket to have a play with :thumbup::thumbup:

Nope the 550 is listed at 4.9 kg the 261 at 5.2kg and the 560 at 5.7 kg

I weighed the ms261 I repaired:

261weight.jpg.f4fd96c81423675918c4ced804e42f1a.jpg

Which is with 16" bar and chain and half a tank fuel and oil. It is nigh on a kg lighter than the Makita DCS5121 I recently bought with an 18" bar.

Now whilst I spent the last ten years of my working life using a Husqvarna 262 which I suspect is heavier than either I don't want to have an additional half can of beans on each hand to wave about. For the little I do I find the 261 a handy little saw, much as I like the Makita for its robustness. I have never picked up a modern Husvarna in anger.

Actually I have Stihl (260 +261), Husqvarna (372) and Dolmar (420) all excellent saws in their own right. I have tried the 550xp and didn't particularly like it, it doesn't feel any lighter in the hand than the 261 ( the slightly more streamlined form of the 550 give the impression that it should actually weigh less than it does).

What does or doesn't feel right about a saw is always down to the individual and any recommendations should only be taken as a guidance until you've tried the saw yourself.

I (probably like most others on this site) just use my saws ,I don't worry about them weighing a few ounce more or less than another brand.:001_smile:

Good points - agree entirely what suits one person may be completely awful to another, if I feel my larger saw is getting a bit heavy after a lot of cutting, I select a smaller one to finish off.

N

Edited by NFG