Employing a 16 year old

hamdogg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sub into a company that took on a school leaver a few years ago, he was absolutely useless! He's been there for 4-5 years now, not done any college, learnt his trade from the lads/subbies he works with. He is the first bloke from that company that I would want with me on any job. Good grafter and a good engineer. And a good laugh. Guess it's luck of the draw.

I wouldn't have had him working for me for the first couple of years mind.

Guess it's luck of the draw.

You got that perfect!

Some will want to play catch with their gloves whilst being on their mobiles,others (few and far apart in my experience) will be more than willing to work and learn,show common sense(the most important quality in treework in my eyes)....

In my experience its a game of roulette, finding the 00 is hard...finding red or black is easy.....

Sorry,that probably doesn't answer your op ....be prepared to be patient :biggrin:

I find 16 year olds are good grafters, it's when they get to 17-18 they are harder to motivate and start slacking due to pubs and drinking.

If you are taking on teenagers you become the father figure , you are probably the biggest influence in their lives at that stage. It will be you they look up to,listen to and respect. They are our children at the end of the day so good or bad we should be giving them a chance. I am pleased with the way the few we have had have turned out and its a pleasure to see them progress. One young lad I took on at 16 is on his now employing four lads, he has just bought his second house as an investment and is doing very well for himself, not bad for a 26 year old. I am quietly proud of that one :) We have had the odd one that was disinterested and a waste of time but thats more to do with them being uncertain of their career path.

Bob