What's wrong with this Horse Chesnut?

Gillsgardening

It would be interesting to take chlorophyll fluorescenceex readings over a number of years, to see how much they do effect them

I like your thinking Gary. However

Chlorophyll fluorescence testing is unlikely to pick up the effects of leaf minors over a long period of time.

Chlorophyll fluorescence testing is likely to be limited to detecting very short term stresses that directly affect the chlorophyll molecule I.e. acute mineral deficiencies or poisoning.

Scientific methods that measure the amount of sugars produced and stored are likely to be the most useful when assessing the impact of horse chestnut leaf minor over a number of years.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chestnuts round here have scale, miner, blotch and scorch. I do wonder whether scorch is purely weather-induced, or has some fungal / bacterial undertone.

Another potential disease (future but probably soon to be here) to throw in to the mix with reference to HC, would be the Guignardia aesculi lookalike 'Xylella fastidiosa' (aka bacteria leaf scorch) which is reaking havoc across a huge range of plant and tree species across the globe.

Predominantly affecting grape vines in California and across central and South America, it's now taken a strangle hold on Olives in Italy in the Lecce region which is significantly affecting the olive industry there.

Transmitted by xylem feeding insects

Symptoms on amenity trees present as a leaf scorch

Marginal leaf edges drying brown

Halo'd by a yellow zone

The above is how it may become misdiagnosed as Guignardia.

Forest research are on the lookout for this potentially serious disease spreading here to the UK. There are reports of it (I think unconfirmed) in Northern Europe.

• 2 months later...