composite or steel toe cap? You may think twice!

jaime bray

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously not. But should we be cutting one handed in the tree with a saw? Some do not, some do so habitually. For some this will make then reassess work positioning or even their next boot choice. For others with exemplary skills and work positioning they won't need to bother with such threads. 😉

I can see what your saying mate but I don't think one handed saw use is the right analogy, you could say a climber that wears front protection chainsaw trousers and uses a standard lanyard (none steel core) that one hands a saw from time to time in his composite toe capped boots is more prone to an accident than anyone else!! :D I doubt it though. ;)

Should we even call them accidents? More of an incident really! Someone has to be at fault and it almost always boils down to user error.

Boots are what they are and I've never looked at steel toe caps as chainsaw protection only crush protection. The same as composites. I wouldn't rely on a steel core flip line as I've stated in a previous thread "they give such a false sense of security" :)

Obviously not...but its frightening how often im talking to other tree cutters, look down and see cut marks across the ends of their boots!

I remember this video doing the rounds the first time. Certainly makes you think

Yes that's so true nobody's perfect but heck I have seen loads of lads with nicked boots ? Most are contract guys who are worked hard day in day out . Pushing the limits really ain't good for body or soul :001_smile:

What are the benefits to Composite Toe caps? The only viable one I can think of is that when compressed they release after pressure is removed.

The weight thing simply isn't an issue, you could save that weight by emptying your pockets of sawdust, shaving your head, or going commando.

I don't get why anyone would opt for composite without thinking.