Hodges MTB Thread

Hodge

Who uses clip-less pedals on the trails? I like em but there's been a few arse nipping moments mainly on steep technical climbs/decents. Contemplating going back to flat!!

Depends on how good you are. Flats are the way forward for learning to ride anything technical and because they are fun. Clips allow you to cheat your body position and weight and are best if getting down as fast as possible is the end result.

I have been saved by clips on several occasion where the bike has been out of control going very quickly and the only reason i've stayed on is being clipped in.

For technical up hill clips are loads easier.

IMO clips for race day, flats for anything else.

Bit late on the uptake with this thread, on holiday :biggrin:

First, nice one on the getting fit stuff, 'spect to you sir!:thumbup1:

But respect in choice of bikes, really nice. Great to see a bunch of lads on here that do it too. I've been at Downhill, Freeride and BMX cycling since i was old enough, and now living in Germany, I have an endless choice of tracks, some with lifts!

And still with my "vintage" Marin DH FRS, love the old bike....

But used to go to the Lakes and Scotland alot when I was younger to rip up a few lines, great place for cycling\camping.

Nice thread sir!! :thumbup1:

And flatties all the way. Too many injuries with clipped pedals. I like my ankles in working order.....

Who uses clip-less pedals on the trails? I like em but there's been a few arse nipping moments mainly on steep technical climbs/decents. Contemplating going back to flat!!

Seen FAR too many accidents with people using clip-ins. Maybe ok for flatter terrain/more experienced rider but know of a guy who fractured his pelvis on Glentress which he put down to clippers..

I ditched my clip ons, I like my knees and face too much!

Brilliant for roads for extra power.

Agreed! Save the clips for the pros!(I'm not good enough!) Been looking at super sticky MTB shoes as alternative.

Yep love my clipless on the road and cyclocross bike, wouldn't be without!

I have got back into mountain biking after a good few years off and can't get enough of of it. Gone for spds as the bike came with them and really like the control and power gained from them. Living in Scotland we have tracks everywhere, I prefer natural trails but do a bit of everything. Looking at doing the West Highland Way and possibly the Caringorm Loop in the near future.

image.jpg.09eda219959caea37b43e7e2d7928842.jpg

Nice bike! I'm on Spd pedals and I do like them but on techy single track, up or down they can be a bit scary and I'm considering going into flats. Mmmmm choices, Choices. I can't wait to go to glentress!!

I took a gamble and went secondhand and has been a great bike. Using strava is a good way to find trails but isn't good when your competitive, it makes you go faster than you should. Here's a picture of what happens when smash ur knee into the frame thankfully bike still ok. Have a look at some of the other trail centres there are plenty around Scotland.

image.jpg.6f088d75bdafcf5a76e1e2ca70a29a1c.jpg